Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!!

1. Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Hello

As the title says I have come across an issue I have never seen or heard of before. Recently I blanked off my EGR to do some fault finding with a slightly juddering idle. After blanking I noticed an improvement so just left it blanked. Then the other day I noticed the DSG gear changes became really slow. So it would rev up and when ready to change it would hold the gear and slowly let go to engage the next gear with the rev needle dropping very slow on each change as well as a feeling of slipping every time it changed. So yesterday for another reason I put a proper gasket back on the EGR and god knows how but the gear shifting on the DSG box is back to how it should be, crisp and immediate. Now to rule out coincidence I again blanked the EGR and sure enough back to slow gear changes. Back to gasket and all good. Now I know of no reason why this would happen or how on earth they are even linked to a single issue. Any one of you wise fellas or lasses have an idea. Lastly the car is a 170PD BMR.

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Thanks conclusive and weird !

Did it throw an eml for the blanked egr ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Weird indeed. Can find no info at all on the internet of a case of it ever happening. Yeah EML light after about 20 miles or so.

0 0 0

4. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    " Yeah EML light after about 20 miles or so. "

Blanking the EGR will put the engine into Limp Mode after a short while.

Your DSG then gets a message from the ECU telling it there is very limited power available from the engine, so gear changes will be affected.

0 0 0

5. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    That's very true but the gear change goes slow long before an eml is generated. It's almost instant. Eml can take a fair few miles before coming on. Although does make sense but have never seen anywhere another passat with dsg reporting this issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Current Vehicles

Passat B6 Estate 170PD (Bluefin Installed 200BHP) BMR Highline
    Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

6. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall1975 View Post
    Hello

As the title says I have come across an issue I have never seen or heard of before. Recently I blanked off my EGR to do some fault finding with a slightly juddering idle. After blanking I noticed an improvement so just left it blanked. Then the other day I noticed the DSG gear changes became really slow. So it would rev up and when ready to change it would hold the gear and slowly let go to engage the next gear with the rev needle dropping very slow on each change as well as a feeling of slipping every time it changed. So yesterday for another reason I put a proper gasket back on the EGR and god knows how but the gear shifting on the DSG box is back to how it should be, crisp and immediate. Now to rule out coincidence I again blanked the EGR and sure enough back to slow gear changes. Back to gasket and all good. Now I know of no reason why this would happen or how on earth they are even linked to a single issue. Any one of you wise fellas or lasses have an idea. Lastly the car is a 170PD BMR.

Cheers

Had very similar situation recently on my Passat with BMR engine and DSG gearbox.
    Car suddenly died on the road, then started again.
    Plugged in VCDS it was EGR fault 012592.
    Took inlet flap, EGR and inlet manifold off gave them a good clean (They were completely full and clogged)
    Put everything back together it still threw EGR fault.
    As there was EGR fault 012592 in particular, DPF would not regen and got over 80% full.
    Then while driving cleared EGR code and gave it a 21295 code to initiate regen and it worked.
    After regen was complete EGR fault never came back. I suppose after clean it still needed to get some highway miles to get back to operating properly.
    But back to the point while EGR fault was on DSG changed gears slowly like on some conventional automatic with torque converter.
    At start I thought its because my DSG is dying (When warm there is stuttering on pull away) but now looks like its usual behavior with EGR codes stored.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

7. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall1975 View Post
    That's very true but the gear change goes slow long before an eml is generated. It's almost instant. Eml can take a fair few miles before coming on. Although does make sense but have never seen anywhere another passat with dsg reporting this issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    For me there was 012592 thrown right after i tried to clear it but EML light didn't come on for long.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

8. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Ah so there is another case of it. Certainly gearbox wise seems spot on to what mine was doing. The only problem I have now is the very sluggish response below 1500 RPM which im convinced is all part of this. I did replace the EGR about a month a go with an aftermarket one but this just made the car unresponsive below 2500 RPM so re-fitted the old one which allowed the car to run much better. So im just stuck at the below 1500 RPM issue. Im not overly keen on spending a fortune on a genuine OEM egr to see if the problem is fixed. Im getting no codes or errors in VCDS so not really sure in which direction to head. The EGR and intake manifold were both cleaned so thats not an issue. The only thing I cant prove is the EGR. The valve lifts up and closes manually but I cant prove if its actually operating correctly whilst running. VCDS does show a percentage figure but I dont know if it means %open or %closed plus also what are the correct positions of the EGR valve lol.

0 0 0

9. Re: Very odd problem with EGR and DSG together!!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Just a follow up. Problem is now sorted. Bought 3m of 4mm silicone hose and changed all the vacuum pipes. Car now runs an absolute dream. Funny thing is I inspected all the old hoses but damned if I could find a split or hole but not bothered as all fixed now. Only cost £10 for the hose so I would certainly suggest this to anyone having issues as first port of call.
    Current Vehicles

Passat B6 Estate 170PD (Bluefin Installed 200BHP) BMR Highline
    Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0