Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Thoughts please, 04 Passat, 2.0 ALT petrol engine, 96,000 miles.

Had this one a few years now (my third B5/5.5 20 valve petrol), do about 15,000 miles a year and do my own servicing and simpler repairs. Coming up for a service again according to the dash warning, had an oil change service last August and full fluids, filters and plugs the service before. I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago, it was intermittently not running and requiring a "tap" on it or the tank to wake it up, been fine ever since up until yesterday morning. It always starts instantly but took 10-15 attempts to start the car, surprised but I put it down to flooding, had that occasionally in the past if these cars are just moved on or off the driveway and the weather has been chilly. When I left work last night same problem, although it "only" took 4 attempts to get it going. scanned it with VCDS when I got home, no engine related codes and no warning lights. Once started it runs as normal, pulls well, idles smoothly, no hunting and no overshoot when dropping down to idle speed. I did wonder whether I had a head gasket problem with water getting in the cylinders (been there, done that, but not on these) but the level in the expansion tank looks good and it's still a nice pink colour.

However...........one thing I noticed this morning is that when it eventually starts it doesn't idle at around 1200 rpm and then gradually reduce down to 750 as it warms. it idles at 750 straight away. Thinking back to yesterday, it did the same then, I noticed the engine was quieter but didn't register why. Once warm it starts on the first turn of the key, as I proved last night when I got home.

My first thought is the green temperature sender at the back of the engine, had a leaking O ring there years ago and replaced it with a £10 one of eBay. If I remember correctly it has 4 wires (2 sensors), one for the temperature gauge (which is working fine) and one for the ECU. Could a faulty one of these really cause such difficult starting, I find it hard to believe but it's the obvious first thing to try I guess.

Does anybody have any other thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Temperature sensor changed this morning. Checking with a multmeter one of the 2 thermistors had a considerably lower resistance (2300 ohm v 3300 ohm) on the new one compared to the one I took out. Might be a coincidence but car currently starts perfectly every time, idle speed 1200 then drops to 750 rpm after about 30 seconds. Will try it tonight when the temperature drops, here's hoping.
    Last edited by ianhayter; 27-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.

0 0 0