Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget?

1. Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    As some of you will be aware I’m experiencing golf 1.6 TDi issues..

i have to be honest the car and vw have been pretty poor from beginning till now..

ive dodged a bullet with the EGR and got it replaced with 3 weeks of a 24 month warranty remaining.

I used to have a 52 reg Audi 1.9 TDi sport.. it was the best car ever. I owned it for 10 years and never failed an mot and never needed anything more than diesel, servicing and wear and tear parts...

what should I be looking to buy next.. I have a budget of about 10k and do about 15000 miles a year with a 40 mile daily commute, 20 miles of that being done on the motorway

0 0 0

2. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Modern cars are nice but fragile and want alot of money spent on them .

Another 2000-2005 1.9 tdi VAG !

0 1 0

3. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    The short answer is yes.

But......

If you're after reliability from something "modern" - and at risk of being lynched - I'd say go Japanese/Korean. Look at pretty much any reliability survey and it's the far eastern stuff that heads it up. Personal experience with 2 Mazdas and 4 Toyotas backs that up.

However I've now had my 2008 1.9 TDi Passat Estate for about 4 months. 126K. The equivalent Avensis was about £1-2K more expensive. So, unless the Passat uses up £1-2K worth of stuff I'm thinking that's a good option.

I reckon Gazwould has it right - go for something older. If you want something newer of a similar size I'd go for a Mazda 3/Auris/C'eed/i20 or maybe a Civic.

Good Luck with the search.

Andy.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

DEKRA Gebrauchtwagenreport

0 1 0

4. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply mate..

I should of mentioned that I bought my A3 with 70000 on it and put another 100000 on it over the faultless 10 years owning it.

I bought my Golf as I have a daily 40 mile commute and wanted something reliable and good on diesel, everything went fine for the first two years.. the diesel side was ok but it’s a shame I didn’t research the reliability side of it..

Are the Far East brands making good diesels or should I look to move back to petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
    The short answer is yes.

But......

If you're after reliability from something "modern" - and at risk of being lynched - I'd say go Japanese/Korean. Look at pretty much any reliability survey and it's the far eastern stuff that heads it up. Personal experience with 2 Mazdas and 4 Toyotas backs that up.

However I've now had my 2008 1.9 TDi Passat Estate for about 4 months. 126K. The equivalent Avensis was about £1-2K more expensive. So, unless the Passat uses up £1-2K worth of stuff I'm thinking that's a good option.

I reckon Gazwould has it right - go for something older. If you want something newer of a similar size I'd go for a Mazda 3/Auris/C'eed/i20 or maybe a Civic.

Good Luck with the search.

Andy.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

DEKRA Gebrauchtwagenreport

0 0 0

5. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Is your 40 mile commute per day (approx 10K/year) or 40 miles each way (approx 20K/year)?

If the former then I think a petrol would probably be better but if you're on 20K/year plus any extras then I reckon a diesel.

Sadly, as you've found out, new diesels are so complicated that they've almost got built in "issues" which older ones didn't have. And, of course, it takes some time for the "issues" to become apparent by which time it's too late if you've already handed over your cash.

My Mazda's and Toyota's were petrol so I don't have anything useful on their diesels.

Sorry that's not a great deal of help.

Andy.

0 0 0

6. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Morning Andy,

it is 20 miles per day... so when weekends and holidays are taken away I’m sub 10k miles but then extras from normal use.

Ive been looking at the second hand market to see what’s available. Have you had a mixture of older and newer Toyotas / Mazdas?

cheers,
    Chris.

0 0 0

7. Re: Is there a vag car worth buying within my budget? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hi Chris,

At that sort of mileage I'd be going for petrol.

History looks like this:

1996 1.8 Carina
    2000 1.3 Yaris
    2001 1.8 626
    2001 2.0 Avensis
    2010 Mazda 2
    2011 Yaris

All except our current Mazda 2 were at around 120-130K when they were changed. The Mazda 2 is on 96K. This has been owned by us for over 5 years and we've put 60K on her. The sum total of non service items being....... a brake light switch! None of our cars had anything significant that needed changing. Our neighbour has a Mazda 2 also. 2016. AFAIK nothing has needed replacing or gone wrong.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

0 1 0