I have an A6 C5 allroad (2001) which has a Concert head unit with a CD changer in the boot. The CD changer is a Panasonic CX-DP9060EN which uses an adaptor cable to get it to connect to the pre-installed wiring harness.

The CD changer suddenly stopped working on Wednesday. It was playing fine one minute, then started skipping and now it won't play anything. If I press the mode button to select the CD changer it slowly works its way through all six discs, displaying the disc number for a while, then ERR1 and moving on to the next disc. No sound is ever produced.

What are sensible options of what to do next? Is this a common fault that means taking the cover off and unsticking something is possible? I see I can get this Panasonic unit 2nd hand on ebay and also the Audi original. I suspect these are actually the same insider, just with a different connector.

I have also seen products which claim to connect to a head unit's CD changer interface but instead play music from an SD card, USB stick or possibly from a phone/MP3 player via Bluetooth. What I can't be sure of is where in the car these units would have to go. My general impression is that they are not really intended for boot mounting where the CD changer goes and I definitely don't want to be hacking the interior about to fit such a thing. There is a climate control unit immediately under the head unit so there is only 1DIN height available. Has anyone had any luck with something like that?

Any other ideas?