Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again.

1. Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so looking to purchase a used Audi A3 1.6 TDi 105 PS S tronic. The owner has some patchy history, mostly non main dealer and has owned the car for over five years. He said this problem started about three years ago and he hasn’t bothered to have it looked at, as it runs fine otherwise.

Basically the car will not start unless in addition to pressing the brake pedal, you shift the car out of Park, into any other gear, then back into Park.

The Stop start feature also doesn’t work and I was told this failed around the same time.

Any ideas around what could cause this problem and whether I should walk away, or is this something trivial that could be resolved?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bumping this in case there’s anyone on here on a Friday night that may not have seen this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    A fault code read first to see if it is anything simple like a selector position switch.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

4. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Would that be a main dealer job? Would there still be fault codes if the engine check light isn’t switched on?

0 0 0

5. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    There are many faults that can be stored as codes and not bring on the MIL.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

6. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, will one of those OBDII readers available on ebay with a phone app read those codes? I have one so wondered if I could query the codes myself, or whether this would be a main dealer job? Thank you.

0 0 0

7. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    All the these Christmas cracker toy code readers I have experienced are rubbish, some even make mistakes which make people replace the wrong parts; the only one that works and would be taken seriously by the dealer is VCDS and even then they would still insist on doing their own code read first as would any sensible garage. The only system a main dealer would not be able to argue with is ODIS, the dealer system which is extremely difficult and expensive to obtain, even worse to maintain and use!

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

8. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks buddy, would probably end up taking it to the dealer afterwards, just wondered if u could query anything using one of these devices before buying the car. Thanks for the advice, I think I will pass up on this one.

0 0 0

9. Re: Automatic car won’t start unless I shift it out of Park, and back again. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Personally I would not take on a car with that engine if it was given to me, the CAYC has been a bad joke...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0