0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all.
    I’m a noob, so be gentle.
    I’ve got a VW touran 2004 2.0 TDi.

My dad got it from his neighbour about 3 months ago.
    Long story short, previous owner had it from new. Never used it. To the point I’ve put on 3000 of the 46000 miles since I’ve had it.
    There is so much wrong with it, it’s depressing. I’m close to selling it for a newer model.
    As it’s an automatic, there have been a few worrying incidences of it stalling. Usually whilst I’m stopped at lights. When it idles, it sits at about 800, but drops down to 6/700, usually when it’s a bit warmer.
    I’ve replaced the EGR valve, the old was was covered in a thick layer of carbon. Cleaned the rest thoroughly and, although it sorted out the idle for a few days, it’s reverted to its old habits. Hasn’t stalled since tho.
    Any more ideas what I can try? It had a service about 3 months ago, new oil, oil filter and fuel filter. As well as a new timing belt. Weirdly, that’s when the problems seemed to start. I got it done at a fairly reputable garage too. But it doesn’t seem like a timing belt problem.

The gear box also seems poorly. Sometimes just doesn’t change up until the revs are almost in the red. There is a automatic gearbox service place in Hove which isn’t far away, would it be worth going there to get it looked at/serviced? I don’t really want to attempt the fluid change in my road for fear of a catastrophic failure if I **** it up.

On another point, there is a weird “ticking” noise when the heating is on. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the fan, as it’s over/in the glove box. But I’d rather have a rough idea where to look, before pulling the dash apart.

And; the front passenger window struggles to go up and down smoothly. Like it’s stuck on something. I’ve been looking at new window mechanics, but is there any other suggestions?

Finally, the rear internal lights don’t work. Could this be a simple case of changing the bulbs? Or could it be the electrics as a whole? The back passenger side window went down recently, and then refused to come back up. Had to turn the engine off to get it working again.

£500 well spent by my old man though 😂😂

Should have learnt my lesson from the last two lemons he’s bought me......

Anyway, any pointers or ideas would be most welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: Any ideas? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Fault code read......
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Any ideas? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heddlo View Post
    Hi all.
    I’m a noob, so be gentle.
    I’ve got a VW touran 2004 2.0 TDi.

My dad got it from his neighbour about 3 months ago.
    Long story short, previous owner had it from new. Never used it. To the point I’ve put on 3000 of the 46000 miles since I’ve had it.
    There is so much wrong with it, it’s depressing. I’m close to selling it for a newer model.
    As it’s an automatic, there have been a few worrying incidences of it stalling. Usually whilst I’m stopped at lights. When it idles, it sits at about 800, but drops down to 6/700, usually when it’s a bit warmer.
    I’ve replaced the EGR valve, the old was was covered in a thick layer of carbon. Cleaned the rest thoroughly and, although it sorted out the idle for a few days, it’s reverted to its old habits. Hasn’t stalled since tho.
    Any more ideas what I can try? It had a service about 3 months ago, new oil, oil filter and fuel filter. As well as a new timing belt. Weirdly, that’s when the problems seemed to start. I got it done at a fairly reputable garage too. But it doesn’t seem like a timing belt problem.

The gear box also seems poorly. Sometimes just doesn’t change up until the revs are almost in the red. There is a automatic gearbox service place in Hove which isn’t far away, would it be worth going there to get it looked at/serviced? I don’t really want to attempt the fluid change in my road for fear of a catastrophic failure if I **** it up.

On another point, there is a weird “ticking” noise when the heating is on. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the fan, as it’s over/in the glove box. But I’d rather have a rough idea where to look, before pulling the dash apart.

And; the front passenger window struggles to go up and down smoothly. Like it’s stuck on something. I’ve been looking at new window mechanics, but is there any other suggestions?

Finally, the rear internal lights don’t work. Could this be a simple case of changing the bulbs? Or could it be the electrics as a whole? The back passenger side window went down recently, and then refused to come back up. Had to turn the engine off to get it working again.

£500 well spent by my old man though ����

Should have learnt my lesson from the last two lemons he’s bought me......

Anyway, any pointers or ideas would be most welcome.
    We have a 2003 manual and a 2008 auto Touran. I try to drive the older, manual one as I find the auto likes to go higher on the revs than I would before changing and is slow on "taking off" if trying to turn from a junction into moving traffic. If I drove it more regularly I think I'd be having it checked to see if that is how it should be, but maybe that's just the way they are. It used to puff out lots of smoke out when kicking down to accelerate, but I gate the turbo a Mr Muscle treatment and that seems to have fixed that - but not the laggy performance.

On the older Touran the driver's window was very sluggish for a few years. On a cold day it'd slowly come to a stop before reaching the top, and need a manual nudge! Eventually there was a pop and the window glass became loose. I took the door inner skin off and could see fraying to the cable that lifts / lowers the glass, which is probably what made everything drag and eventually broke the plastic lifter blocks. Looking at my notes I got "Touran window regulator repair kit: 1T0 898 100 right front" from the local VW dealer at a reasonable price (~£25?). Left hand version is 099 instead of 100 I think. Getting the panel that holds the mechanism out / in was a bit of a challenge, but it worked out OK in the end. Window has been perfect since - actually pleased it broke and forced fixing of the sluggish / sticking problem.

As you can probably tell I think they're a very practical vehicle. Hope you can get yours working better .

0 0 0

4. Re: Any ideas? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Get a fault code reading done to narrow it down, That ticking? seems to be a common annoyance on several models.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0