Notices

User Tag List

Thread: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability?

1. MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    I have a MK3 estate (1.9D 64bhp) I need for work and a mk4 hatch (1.9 110bhp TDI) that needs too much welding to save.
    Ideally I'd want to swap over the engine and gearbox, but for now I'd settle for the steering/brakes/suspension - I miss having ABS!
    I know that it's possible to go down the route of swapping in MK3 GTi/VR6 steering/suspension parts which would also give the 5-bolt stud pattern, but since I already have a complete MK4 can anyone tell me how many and which (if any) of those parts I could use for the upgrade?
    All advice greatfully received!
    Thanks,
    Sith

0 0 0

2. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    It is bloody hard work, I am just doing a Golf 3 VR6 into a Golf 2 with its ABS and it is not easy. The Golf 3 and 4 are VERY different.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Baws. 😥

0 0 0

4. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So it looks like the 5 stud hubs will fit. So there's 1 part that will be interchangeable.
    That means I should be able to fit the pads discs and calipers. So there's another 3 parts that'll fit.
    Downside is the driveshafts will have a different number of splines, so I'd need to swap the driveshafts over. And if I'm swapping the driveshafts I may as well do the gearbox swap I intended to do. And if I'm swapping the gearbox I may as well swap the engine too.
    So it looks like some of the parts actually *DO* fit, but I'll need to swap a bunch of other parts for it all to work. C'est la vie.
    Getting my work van in a week or two, so I should be able to take my MK3 off the road and start swapping parts then.
    Thanks for all the replies and help.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    I have just fitted a VR6 into a Golf 2 with a Golf 4 02M 6 speed gearbox using a Golf 3 Pr-2E1 subframe, hub carriers and wishbones with Golf 4 312mm wheel bearing hubs, discs and calipers using a modified Fabia VRS shaft on the left and Golf 3 VR6 on the right with TT inner and Golf 4 VR6 outer joints both sides, made my head spin!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, that sounds like a pretty involved job Crasher.
    Any ideas on how I could just retrofit ABS to my current 4-stud setup? Already had a couple of scares and having ABS would make the car much safer.

0 0 0

7. Re: MK3 4-stud, MK 5-stud interchangeability? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Yes you can do Mk20 ATE ABS on a Golf 3 4 stud, the easiest way would be to find a scrap very late (upto 2002 type 1E) facelift cabrio as these often had ABS and even though they look like a Golf 4 they are pure Golf 3 type 1H architecture underneath and electrically. Also the bulkhead plate will accept the ABS pump unlike the Golf 2 I am doing which required a lot of reinforcement to the bulkhead as it was never designed to have that big lump hanging off it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0