1. 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am surprised to see no posts here about the problems of hesitation on take off with the 150ps version of the new 1.5 TSI EVO engine when mated to a manual gearbox. There is plenty of chat amongst the Skoda forums and amongst T-Roc owners but little relating to the Golf configuration of this engine.

My car (Golf GT) has had, from new, a hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive is first gear once the clutch is released - like a misfire where it momentarily loses power and then takes it up again. In the old days you would call it a flat spot. My dealer, having plugged it in, tells me that no fix exists yet but VW are aware of the problem. The reports elsewhere suggest that VW have been in denial of the issue but an article recently on the HonestJohn website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ow...si-evo-engine/
    announces that VW are acknowledging the issue.

Other makes of cars with similar characteristics are said to have faults with the clutch switch or throttlepotentiometer but it feels like a ECU software issue to me - but who knows without the right diagnostic equipment and software?
    Some Skoda owners (paticularly in Kodiaq guise) talk of Kangaroo hops - my experience is only a single moment of hesitation once you have taken up the drive, every time, hot or cold. It makes heavy traffic driving very uncomfortable and sadly very difficult to 'drive' round. DSG cars are said not to be so affected (they have a slightly different issue apparently) and I've read no reports of this issue with the 130ps version of this engine.

Am I the only Golf owner with this issue - I suspect not? Are there any other Golf owners here who have been down this road? We probably need some 'chat' about it to help shake the VAG tree a bit more vigorously?

Regards

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is a discussion going on about this 1.5TSI or 2.0 TDI and yes it is a software problem brought about by the insane emissions regulations being appiled under EU6c, they have gone too far and need to wind the necks back in
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anrw View Post
    I am surprised to see no posts here about the problems of hesitation on take off with the 150ps version of the new 1.5 TSI EVO engine when mated to a manual gearbox. There is plenty of chat amongst the Skoda forums and amongst T-Roc owners but little relating to the Golf configuration of this engine.

My car (Golf GT) has had, from new, a hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive is first gear once the clutch is released - like a misfire where it momentarily loses power and then takes it up again. In the old days you would call it a flat spot. My dealer, having plugged it in, tells me that no fix exists yet but VW are aware of the problem. The reports elsewhere suggest that VW have been in denial of the issue but an article recently on the HonestJohn website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ow...si-evo-engine/
    announces that VW are acknowledging the issue.

Other makes of cars with similar characteristics are said to have faults with the clutch switch or throttlepotentiometer but it feels like a ECU software issue to me - but who knows without the right diagnostic equipment and software?
    Some Skoda owners (paticularly in Kodiaq guise) talk of Kangaroo hops - my experience is only a single moment of hesitation once you have taken up the drive, every time, hot or cold. It makes heavy traffic driving very uncomfortable and sadly very difficult to 'drive' round. DSG cars are said not to be so affected (they have a slightly different issue apparently) and I've read no reports of this issue with the 130ps version of this engine.

Am I the only Golf owner with this issue - I suspect not? Are there any other Golf owners here who have been down this road? We probably need some 'chat' about it to help shake the VAG tree a bit more vigorously?

Regards
    I don't have a VW but I did have a VW R-ROC with the issue. See the T-ROC forum for MANY people with the Kangaroo problem..

It sounds similar - also note that SOME DSG's also have the same problem more recently..

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I bought a pre registered Audi A3 35 1.5 TFSI with 132 miles on the clock from Audi Edinburgh five days ago. The day after I bought the car it started to violently shudder when ever I accelerated. This is very worrying when pulling out of a junction or overtaking. I have to lift my foot off the accelerator or the car stalls. I took the car back to the dealer and they said they could have a look at it in May. I asked for my money back and they said they could look at it on Friday. This behaviour continued for another day then disappeared as suddenly as it appeared. The car then drove fine for a day then reverted back to jumping when accelerating. I will be happy if they can fix the fault on Friday but will be asking for my money back if the problem persists. This kangarooing occurs when accelerating in all gears.
    I would like to know if anyone that has hade this issue got it resolved.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow. That sounds worse than the basic Kangaroo but something of a coincidence that the car was for sale with such low mileage.

Had it been Rejected before or were you the first owner.?

It the dealer sold it on after someone returned it then that is a new low..

In terms of progress - some Skoda owners are reporting software updated working, VW T-roc owners are a waiting.

Good luck ..

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was told the car was pre-registered to make up sale in January. Nothing showed up on the diagnostics test but the kangarooing happened when the engineer took the car for a test drive.
    They still have my car and I am driving about in a replacement.
    I will report back when they get back to me.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too have experienced “kangaroo hops” in my 2018 golf 1.5 (150bhp). Only had the car a few weeks (Arnold Clark), therefore I’m interested to know whether the possible “fix” is any closer or is there any point in consulting Arnold Clark? Any info much appreciated.

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Volkswagen are well aware of the problem but as yet no fix is available for the Golf version of the engine management system. T-Roc and Tiguan have, as I understand it, have had software patches with varying results. My latest information is that there is a fix on the horizon, but since I've been waiting seven months for it I'm only cautiously optimistic. My advice is make sure Arnold Clark know of the issue but don't waste your time taking the car to them at this stage because there is nothing they can do about it. Sadly Volkswagen's approach is "it's the dealers' problem to solve" but frankly they put a car on the market with a fault and they should not simply hide behind consumer law and rely on the dealers who can't really do much to help. The crux of the problem is that very few Golf's seem to be affected so VW aren't feeling the heat from the Golf owners. Other VAG products with this engine have a far higher incidence of the problem with correspondingly more 'customer noise' surrounding the issue. As a consumer you will be tossed back and forwards between VW and the dealer and make very little progress unless you reject the car. If you do, Volkswagen get off scott free and the dealer (and you) will carry the loss and end up with a car he can't re-sell sitting in the yard - doesn't seem quite right to me! Best of luck

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input. My previous two cars were VW. Thinking an exodus from the brands is the only way this group will take notice (if at all).
    Really ****** off.
    If your listening - Get the finger out!

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am growing increasingly frustrated with this issue in my Audi A3 1.5 TFSI. I was informed by the Audi dealer, that a software fix was due in May this year. So in June I put the car in for a diagnostics check (available under the Audi warranty) to get the software latest fix. Unfortunately following the visit there was no change in the car's performance. It is still very jerky when pulling away or when driving in slow traffic.

The service engineer at the Audi dealer I spoke to was well aware of the issue. His opinion was the problem is linked to the low fuel consumption figure and reduced emissions, VAG are claiming for the engine. To achieve this, the engine is being starved of fuel at certain times, ie as the car pulls away from stationary.

Not sure how long I will keep the car. This problem and the dealer's ambivalent attitude towards it have seriously tarnished the VAG and Audi brand in my opinion.
    Last edited by drussell66; 28-06-2020 at 05:51 PM.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast