Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Fuel pump clicking when trying to fill up!

1. Fuel pump clicking when trying to fill up! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thankfully since my 2.0 TDI Passat is so fuel efficient I don't have to fill it up often, but when I do it has the issue whereby I have to fill it up really slowly as the pump will click as if it is full when I try to fill at anything more than 50% speed.

It is just how these cars are or is it a problem with my filler neck? Unlike the fillers in my old 1990s diesels which are just open tubes, I suspect the Passat has filters and other things in there that could be getting clogged or broken somehow.

At the moment it isn't the end of the world as it takes maybe an extra 2-3 minutes to fill a full tank and that lasts 750 miles, but if it is a problem then I'm better getting it fixed before it gets worse and I may not be able to refuel at all!

0 0 0

2. Re: Fuel pump clicking when trying to fill up! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
    Thankfully since my 2.0 TDI Passat is so fuel efficient I don't have to fill it up often, but when I do it has the issue whereby I have to fill it up really slowly as the pump will click as if it is full when I try to fill at anything more than 50% speed.

It is just how these cars are or is it a problem with my filler neck? Unlike the fillers in my old 1990s diesels which are just open tubes, I suspect the Passat has filters and other things in there that could be getting clogged or broken somehow.

At the moment it isn't the end of the world as it takes maybe an extra 2-3 minutes to fill a full tank and that lasts 750 miles, but if it is a problem then I'm better getting it fixed before it gets worse and I may not be able to refuel at all!
    This happens to mine but only at certain filling stations so I am guessing that it has something to do with the back pressure sensitivity of the pump itself and when it needs to shut off to prevent overfill. On these pumps I have to either insert the nozzle a little shallower or find a better angle in the filler neck to prevent constant shut off.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

3. Re: Fuel pump clicking when trying to fill up! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    On my old van this problem is because the fuel tank breather pipes are restricted. It has an odddly shaped plastic tank which fits into the space above the gearbox.

Replacing the pipes requires the gearbox and tank to be remmoved, which I've put off doing for years now.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

4. Re: Fuel pump clicking when trying to fill up! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Filled mine up today, usual filling station, nozzle in, filled non-stop. Like Mitch, on other occasions I've had to pull the nozzle out a bit, so obviously I didn't push the nozzle in too far this time.

A bit of trial and error is called for, push the nozzle in as far as it will go, and slowly pull it out till it fills non-stop. Worth remembering that some pumps are slower than others.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0