0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    I don't get usual black oil in mine .
    You must have that special one then Gazwould lol

Any diesel I've ever had ( been driving them since 1991 and had dozens ) whether they be brand new or an older car, at oil change time you can guarantee that after topping the oil up and running it through the system for a minute or two....It's instantly BLACK

Jim

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

2. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Pleased you're gradually getting on top of it Jim.

Regarding the turbo.
    Although Mr Muscle might restore it in the short term, there is no substitute for dismantleing the turbo & giving the vane mech a thorough clean.

The mechanism that sticks is in a void at the centre of the turbo & the only way Mr Muscle can get in is along any clearance there is in the vane shafts or around the interference fit of the outer casing ( which is of course the same places the carbon particles also get in in the first place, but over thousands of miles of use ).

With the turbo on the side of the engine it's not too difficult to remove & thoroughly clean.

You could try working the vacuum capsule rod back & forth with some pliers, there should be about 15-20mm of movement, which may again give a period of good function from the turbo for a while.

0 0 0

3. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    Pleased you're gradually getting on top of it Jim.

Regarding the turbo.
    Although Mr Muscle might restore it in the short term, there is no substitute for dismantleing the turbo & giving the vane mech a thorough clean.

The mechanism that sticks is in a void at the centre of the turbo & the only way Mr Muscle can get in is along any clearance there is in the vane shafts or around the interference fit of the outer casing ( which is of course the same places the carbon particles also get in in the first place, but over thousands of miles of use ).

With the turbo on the side of the engine it's not too difficult to remove & thoroughly clean.

You could try working the vacuum capsule rod back & forth with some pliers, there should be about 15-20mm of movement, which may again give a period of good function from the turbo for a while.
    Thanks Philip, I know you're right of course

That said it's a short term measure and if it helps for a while then all good it's really just about making it more driveable for a short period of time, this isn't intended as a long term fix but as it doesn't make sense to throw huge amounts of money / time at the car, makes some kinda sense I suppose.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions
    Jim

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

4. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Long term Mr Muscle result for me but then I'm a fast pass 0.34 blower .

My oil servicing is second to none and the oil cooler gets sucked out too !

My cylinders just receive clean filtered air and derv thus promoting more complete diesel molecule combustion !!

2 Stroke user also .

0 0 0

5. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Long term Mr Muscle result for me
    Here's hoping it has a positive effect that will help for a period of time, I guess we're really only trying to save the ole girl to give a year or so of service

Jim

0 0 0

6. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Well, we got around to this today....

The pipe between the EGR and manifold / turbo was removed, it had a fair amount of oil residue / carbon build up and so was given the Mr Muscle treatment several times and rinsed through, which made it look closer to new somewhat.

The Mr Muscle wan then liberally applied into the turbo area as best we could, left to soak for 15 mins or so and then repeated several times.

Then added one final generous squirt and started to re attach the pipe and button things back up before starting. I went to the rear of the car ( non smokey previously ) and asked Peter to fire her up and give it some revs, which he did for 5 mins or so.
    We had a fair old amount of black smoke out the rear, making a nice black oily puddle on the road...

We went for a run in the car and she immediately seemed to have more get up n go, more thrust and responded well in the lower gears. We then took to the motorway and in 3rd gear at around 70mph ( around 4500 revs ) we motored around 10 miles or so and then returned. On the trip home she was driven normally and again responded well, BUT at around 75mph the hammer dropped and she was flat once again, the engine light coming on a few moments later.

We exited the motorway and pulled over, the basic code reader I have for this read the codes (N/A was what showed - 1 fault ) the fault was cleared and light extinguished and once more, full of beans until it came back on several moments later
    I feel we've made some kind of progress, but feel that a full proper VAG code reader or similar will lead us to where we need to be and give more info

Still wondering if the actuator is at fault or we have a split pipe / hose that we cannot see.
    Any ideas?

Jim

0 0 0

7. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    You need to know what the code was.

Underboost, which could be caused by a split hose will give one code.

Overboost, which could be caused by sticking turbo vanes willl give a different code.

0 1 0

8. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Son had it in briefly at Kwik Fit today to see what codes they could / couldn't read, but the silly beggars cleared it lol
    Anyway, he's back in tomorrow to see if they can get a definitive code or not...

In the meantime they offered that she needs drop links and a few other suspension components ( that we mostly know about, albeit vaguely at this point )
    There'll be no point in dealing with these suspension issues or replacing the tyres that are at around 3mm UNLESS these other issues are fixed first....

With that in mind we'll see what tomorrow brings
    Then he's going to double check the MAF by unplugging it...The theory is that if the MAF is bad the car will run normally or at least a lot better. If the MAF is not bad the engine will cut out or it will run worse

We'll see....

Jim

0 0 0

9. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The codes were read at Kwik Fit today, unsure how good they are but see below
    4490 - Air mass meter open circuit / ground short
    462c - Boost pressure control below control limit

We also tried to have a good look at the actuator rod from the Vacuum pump ( difficult to see ) but as far as I could tell, barely moved

To summarise, she drives well enough but won't go above around 70mph and no real zing to her at all. That said with some of the work we've recently done and the lights / codes erased she goes well up until around 60mph - 70mph and then you can feel her hesitate almost and you know the light is coming on the dash a moment or two later.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help

Jim

0 0 0

10. Re: Old member back with Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    " The codes were read at Kwik Fit today, unsure how good they are but see below
    4490 - Air mass meter open circuit / ground short
    462c - Boost pressure control below control limit

We also tried to have a good look at the actuator rod from the Vacuum pump ( difficult to see ) but as far as I could tell, barely moved "

So starting with 4490 - Air mass meter open circuit / ground short.

Have a good look at the wiring at the AMM plug, check the wires look ok & none broken.

If ok, you will have to test each wire between the ECU & AMM.

If ok, change the AMM.

462c - Boost pressure control below control limit.
    You report that the turbo boost control rod barely moves, it should move around 15 - 20mm within a few seconds of the engine starting.

You need to check it has the correct vacuum at the boost capsule pulling the rod.
    It should have the full vacuum while the engine is ticking over.

Check you can pull a vacuum on the capsule with a Mittyvac or similar, the turbo control rod should move as above.

If that all checks out, then look for a leak in the turbo pressure pipes to the inlet & the intercooler.

0 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast