Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How long do the glow plugs stay on for?

1. How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Excuse my ignorance, but the 2007 Passat 2.0 TDI is a lot newer technology than the old diesels I'm used to!

The question in a nut shell is how long do the glow plugs stay on for? I presume they stay on longer than the 2-3 seconds the light illuminates for, but I don't know how long. The reason I'm wondering is on these cold mornings I like to let them heat for as long as possible, and on my old diesels that's simple as you can just listen for the relay clicking off, but I have never heard that on the Passat. Maybe they are quieter now or maybe my hearing just isn't good enough!

If somebody could clear it up I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    They're pretty quick, really cold conditions just wait for the light to go out and you're good to go.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

3. Re: How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    As long as you have the correct ones fitted as some are metal and some ceramic tipped, as soon as the light goes off it should signal the end of the preheat phase. Ceramics are faster only needing 2 to 3 seconds but metal usually 4 to 5 for preheat.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

4. Re: How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    As long as you have the correct ones fitted as some are metal and some ceramic tipped, as soon as the light goes off it should signal the end of the preheat phase. Ceramics are faster only needing 2 to 3 seconds but metal usually 4 to 5 for preheat.
    As far as I know they have never been changed, so at 136,000 miles it is probably due replacements but so far it still starts up fine, albeit with a wee bit of blue smoke on the coldest of mornings we've had here in Scotland. Therefore it should have whatever VW put in when it was new.

So what I'm gathering is that unlike my old IDI diesels which continue to heat for a pre-set amount of time (10-15 seconds) after the light goes out, the TDI only keeps them on for the length of time the light stays on for, and once it extinguishes the plugs are no longer heating. That makes sense since direct injection diesels do start much easier even without functioning glow plugs, whereas indirect injection diesels will simply refuse to start without bump starting or burning out your starter motor!!

0 0 0

5. Re: How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Glow plugs stay on for longer then the glow plug light shows.
    Its just a pre-heat phase.
    But its ambient temperature that is going to determine time for glow plug cycle.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

6. Re: How long do the glow plugs stay on for? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renars View Post
    Glow plugs stay on for longer then the glow plug light shows.
    Its just a pre-heat phase.
    But its ambient temperature that is going to determine time for glow plug cycle.
    Already said that in an earlier post - the words preheat and preheat phase were the very terms I specifically used.

Didn't mention they stay hot for a while longer after this though especially those with 'afterglow' capabilities.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0