1. Load cover handle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SE Business Estate just been in to the local dealership for Inspection Service at 26700 miles. Turns out the previous dealer had set it incorrectly at the first service.
    The load cover handle had lost its little spring last August and now just hangs down instead of springing back up and lying flat, level with the cover.
    Turns out it is not covered by my lease maintenance agreement but the dealer has offered to fit a new one without cost- if I paid £303 for the part!!

0 0 0

2. Re: Load cover handle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, this is probably a bit too late to be of any help, but I thought you might appreciate a write-up that I posted on another forum recently....

---

I have been well impressed with the build quality of my GT estate so far. That said, I managed to break the load cover handle, such that the return spring no longer operates. You can buy the handle assembly for around 16 quid from VW dealers (part no 3AF 867 799) but if you have the same problem then I can offer this quick, cheap fix.

First of all, remove the handle by unscrewing 2 small T10 bolts, and dismantle the individual parts of the handle so that you have three separate pieces of plastic. You will also need a small spring like the one in the first photo.

1b.jpg

The spring attaches in two places: firstly, you will need to put a short screw through the underneath of the section that flips down, and secure one end of the spring in the hollow part (being careful not to penetrate the upper edge, of course). See second photo – this photo was taken when the whole unit had been re-assembled.

2b.jpg
    The other end of this spring will need to be screwed into the main section of the handle. On the underside of the top edge, there is a convenient boss into which I have inserted a washer head screw in the third picture. Before doing this however, you will need to carve away a section of plastic with a chisel or sharp knife so that your spring will sit properly. You will then need to reassemble everything and stretch your spring (already attached to the hollow part of the handle) so that it is under a little tension when you fasten your screw into the boss. Photo 3 is misleading in this respect, since in practice you would already have re-assembled everything first.

3b.jpg
    Finally, on the other piece of the handle you will need to cut off the middle boss to prevent it interfering with your handiwork (photo 4).

4b.jpg

The final photo shows the spring when the handle operates. It's not perfect and you can hear the spring rattling against the plastic when depressing the handle, but better than nowt IMHO!
    5b.jpg

0 0 0