1. Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, it’s been a while. My 59 plate SE is still going strong. Only thing I would really want that this car doesn’t have is Apple CarPlay.

looking around, I saw this Audi A4 A5 B8 2008-2016 Carplay Retrofit Kit (Wireless Options Available) - Unique Auto Developments. It looks like it would work great with my Symphony head unit. Has anyone tried this and does it work as well as it appears?

i also noticed it has a reversing camera option too. I was told that on my car the dynamic reverse lines would not overlay the reverse camera image, as I have a manual. Does anyone else out there have a retro fitted reverse camera on a manual that shows the reversing lines on the screen? Just trying to think why they would show on an automatic and not on a manual.

many thanks in advance.

D.

0 0 0

2. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I haven’t yet but I am going to order the kit soon. I have the Symphony radio without MMI or AMI, so I’ll need to feed a cable to the AUX port. I have seen a video or two on how it functions and it looks really good.

Obviously the resolution is lower on these radios and you can’t really change that but looks good enough for me and brings in the in car entertainment right up to date.

The video I saw I am pretty sure was a Manual A4 and it had the reverse lines on the camera IIRc. I will post the link to YT shortly for you.

I am going to go ahead with it as it’s the best way to upgrade IMO, I only just got my A4 just using SD card for now but I mostly use Spotify so want it to run from my phone and want to be able to use google maps on the display.

The touchscreen membrane looks to work well but also the steering wheel controls all work I believe.

You have to hold the Media button down to launch the CarPlay menu.

0 0 0

3. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Here you go not sure if you’ve seen this. Looks like a manual to me and has the guide lines.

Apple CarPlay Audi Concert Non MMI B8 - YouTube

I’ve not seen any instructions on how mount the reverse camera or best way to run any wires back to the unit that are required do you know much about it?

The install of the unit itself looks straight forward, if anything getting the touch screen membrane on neatly and straight as well as wiring in the second microphone looks the hardest. Wish it could just use the existing Mic but apparently there are two clips to hold microphones in the panel above you since it has to accommodate for both left and right hand from the factory, so the second mic should just clip in.

I will order the kit soon and when I’ve fit it all i can try and answer any questions. It looks good to me and I’m willing to take a chance on it as I want to keep the car for a good number of years anyway so worth the investment

0 0 0

4. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyazerty View Post
    I haven’t yet but I am going to order the kit soon. I have the Symphony radio without MMI or AMI, so I’ll need to feed a cable to the AUX port. I have seen a video or two on how it functions and it looks really good.

Obviously the resolution is lower on these radios and you can’t really change that but looks good enough for me and brings in the in car entertainment right up to date.

The video I saw I am pretty sure was a Manual A4 and it had the reverse lines on the camera IIRc. I will post the link to YT shortly for you.

I am going to go ahead with it as it’s the best way to upgrade IMO, I only just got my A4 just using SD card for now but I mostly use Spotify so want it to run from my phone and want to be able to use google maps on the display.

The touchscreen membrane looks to work well but also the steering wheel controls all work I believe.

You have to hold the Media button down to launch the CarPlay menu.
    Thanks for replying. Before Christmas they had 2 versions for sale. One was usb only and the other has Bluetooth and usb as connection options. It’s only the Bluetooth and usb that is available on their site now.

i did see a YouTube video just this morning from youtuber account Gav McElroy who had installed it on a manual Avant. He seemed to have the dynamic reverse lines on his.

Just waiting for spring so I have the time to fit. Do let us know how you get on and welcome to the forum. ��

0 0 0

5. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mcr View Post
    Thanks for replying. Before Christmas they had 2 versions for sale. One was usb only and the other has Bluetooth and usb as connection options. It’s only the Bluetooth and usb that is available on their site now.

i did see a YouTube video just this morning from youtuber account Gav McElroy who had installed it on a manual Avant. He seemed to have the dynamic reverse lines on his.

Just waiting for spring so I have the time to fit. Do let us know how you get on and welcome to the forum. ��
    Thank you for the welcome. I pulled the trigger on the kit and the reverse camera. I wasn’t going to get the camera until I realised it replaces the whole release button which seems a very nice solution, may as well add it all at once since my S Line doesn’t have proximity sensors.

I’ve ordered a trim removal kit to hopefully help me route the wires neatly, although most of it needed for this either screws off or pulls off (like the screen surround)

The headlining is very tightly fitted, and I really don’t want to mess it up when routing the microphone. Don’t want it looking saggy or anything at the end of it, so will probably read up on tips for this before I install this weekend and will take the install nice and slow.

Edit: It is the wireless version i have ordered, which as you say is listed as the 2019 model. Apparently this one doesn’t support mirroring but IIRc the old one said it did. I mostly just want Spotify, Google Maps and Probably Tune IN radio app so won’t miss mirroring really

0 1 0

6. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you for the welcome. I pulled the trigger on the kit and the reverse camera. I wasn’t going to get the camera until I realised it replaces the whole release button which seems a very nice solution, may as well add it all at once since my S Line doesn’t have proximity sensors.

I’ve ordered a trim removal kit to hopefully help me route the wires neatly, although most of it needed for this either screws off or pulls off (like the screen surround)

The headlining is very tightly fitted, and I really don’t want to mess it up when routing the microphone. Don’t want it looking saggy or anything at the end of it, so will probably read up on tips for this before I install this weekend and will take the install nice and slow.

Edit: It is the wireless version i have ordered, which as you say is listed as the 2019 model. Apparently this one doesn’t support mirroring but IIRc the old one said it did. I mostly just want Spotify, Google Maps and Probably Tune IN radio app so won’t miss mirroring really
    good luck with the install. I hope it all goes well for you. Btw, do you have a manual or auto and what year is your car?

0 0 0

7. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    It’s a manual 2.0 TDI (The 143ish bhp), 2009 with the Symphony radio

0 1 0

8. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just seeing this myself. Never knew such a thing existed!! But looks great. Keep us all updated on how you get on.

0 0 0

9. Re: Retrofit Apple CarPlay and reverse camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

how did you get on with the install in the end? All working as you would expect? 🙂

0 0 0