Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)?

1. A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys.

The son's girlfriend's A1 S Line (I believe it's around '15) has had the heater blower resistor go out on her. It shows the classic symptoms, it works on 4 but no lower. No problem, it's probably the thermal fuse but I have a replacement resistor unit as that is as cheap as a replacement fuse without the soldering. It simply unplugs and twists out and back in. It's a UK car so, led by online info ( Removing/installing and checking fresh air blower series resistor with overheating fuseN24 - heater, manually controlled air conditioner ) I believe this is fitted on the driver's side for a UK car and is easier than on a continental which would mean removal of the glovebox (with airbag nearby). I have had the driver's side dashboard end panel off and the underside cover, impressive as it's easy with just snap in fitting. However...

Looking at the underside below the steering wheel the whole bulkhead area is shrouded in a sheet of foam. This seems to extend over the whole of the bulkhead and to be pinned in place with other components fitted over it preventing its easy removal. It did occur to me that perhaps the approved replacement procedure meant cutting a slot in this foam to remove the old resistor and fit the new one through. Can this be correct? Or am I missing the fact that the foam sheet is easier to remove and replace than it looks? Or have I even got it completely **** about face and the resistor is on the passenger side even in a UK model?

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is behind the glovebox on the passengers side just downstream of the blower, same as a Polo 6R, indeed the same part number, 6Q0 959 263 A.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dooohhhh! Thanks for the confirmation Crasher though that's not what I wanted to hear. That's an oddity as the link I posted seems to be from an official manual and it shows it on the right hand side. I never figured it would swap sides with the wheel. I'll get the glovebox out and have a look see.

Is there any issue with the airbag which I know is behind/above it? I know the procedure for powering down to unplug or remove it but I am hoping that won't come into the job at all given enough slack on the switch cables. I won't know until I see it. That said I definitely don't want to do anything silly.

I have to say that, while I understand workshop time costs and I'm ok with that, the part is ridiculously priced from a dealer and nowadays you have to let them fit their own parts. I have just been refused the job with the part I bought online by a good independent workshop who said they would only fit dealer supplied parts. Silly when the car is out of warranty and you don't expect them to guarantee the part itself as you supplied it.

0 0 0

4. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes there are lots of warnings so disconnect the battery first and it may also have a headlight range controller mounted on it which has to come off. The utterly bizarre warning I have just read and which is repeated twice is that the battery MUSt be connected with the ignition ON, that sounds completely wrong to me so follow that advice at your peril! Everything else I have ever read says the ignition must be off when connecting the battery, extremely odd... It even says to disconnect the battery with the ignition on, I am going to have to look into this!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)

I have just brought up the procedure for the heater matrix we are just doing on an 8V MQB platform A3 (MQB platform matrixes are terrible for getting blocked) and it tells you the exact opposite but at the top states to ignore this and do it the other way, mind bending!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, that is pretty much the confusion I found when I searched Crasher. Not good is it?

For something so potentially dangerous you would think the advice would be clear, unambiguous and out there being made easily accessible and, well, everywhere you looked, even if it was accompanied by "Best not to touch these systems!" I did find posts of emergency service officers reporting gruesome deaths of people who were working directly on the airbags though they could be the usual internet imaginative sensationalism.

Well as I said, I'm hoping I will find enough slack in the cable to the switch in the glove box to not have to touch them at all. I'm not so confident of that now.

0 0 0

7. Re: A1 S Line blower resistor replacement. *** - (What the foam)? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When we remove faulty air bags we have to discharge them before putting them in the waste, as you can see this is quite a violent job...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0