1. Repairing fuel tank cap on Audi A4 B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the VCDS USB cable hooked up to the car to diagnose the cabin blower error. While doing so, I came across a second issue. The VCDS software was reporting that the lock for the fuel cap was acting up. Here is a short guide for replacing the faulty module.

A print out of the error was as follows:

Address 46: Central Conv. (J393) Labels: 8K0-907-064-46.clb
    Part No SW: 8K0 907 064 A HW: 8K0 907 064 A
    Component: BCM2 1.1 H70 0134
    Revision: 00002001 Serial number: 010967865308
    Coding: 0100062000390040012001
    Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
    VCID: 2E4A198B2017BC72BDAC28D-807B

3 Faults Found:
    02615 - Fuel Tank Cap; Lock
    009 - Open or Short to Ground
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01101001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 128
    Mileage: 264877 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2018.12.28
    Time: 22:48:18

02616 - Fuel Tank Cap; Unlock
    009 - Open or Short to Ground
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01101001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 128
    Mileage: 264877 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2018.12.28
    Time: 22:51:58

It appears thtat the fuel cap was not locking itself. Not really a problem, I mean, who siphons fuel to steal it these days. But it would be good to repair it nonetheless. I needed to have a look at the fuel cap lock to see what was wrong. If you open the cap, you will see a single screw that you can remove on the plastic panel.

Once this is done, using a spudger or blunt knife, remove the plastic panel. You will see the lock module on the left (model 8K0 862153 F). Slide this to the right and lift it out. It will be connected by a red plastic cable. Unclip this on the module side. Now you can remove it from the car.

If you are replacing the module, you can just follow the instructions in reverse to put it back in. I opened by module to see what the issue was. There are clips around the perimeter of the module.

Unclip these and remove the cover. Inside is a motor and lock mechanism.

To remove the motor, pull out the two pins in the plug (like above, with a needle nosed pliers) . Then you can wiggle the motor out of the module housing. I removed the motor and attempted to spin it with a 12 v power supply. I would spin, but only after a push. Monitoring the power supply, I notices that it current limiting was it was pulling more than 2 amps at certain angles of the armature. This is a sign that the coil was shorted or burnt out.

I doubt that I would be able to get a similiar motor, and it would be a pain to remove the gear and put it onto a new one, so I just bought a replacement module for about 30e. There are more details and photos of this guide on the blog here: Warranty Void: Repairing fuel tank cap on Audi A4 B8

0 0 0

2. Re: Repairing fuel tank cap on Audi A4 B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Useful guide thanks. I have had to do this replacement on each of my B8s. I am hoping that the replacements are more reliable but doubt if the spec has been improved as I had to do it on my 2013.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

3. Re: Repairing fuel tank cap on Audi A4 B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Useful guide thanks. I have had to do this replacement on each of my B8s. I am hoping that the replacements are more reliable but doubt if the spec has been improved as I had to do it on my 2013.
    I doubt that the spec has improved either. These little motors that they use in the car seem to be very unreliable. I have had numerous issues with the similar small 12v motors in the door locks too.

0 0 0