1. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So I've had the sniff test done and even a coolant system pressure test and it passed with flying colours...

So... Now thinking maybe just be a replacement for the header tank and cap...

0 0 0

2. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    As per above tests & replacement headertank & cap & I'm still losing coolant - the only place I can see any fluid is directly behind the right side headlight - splashed up the front of the fuel filter housing.
    Really starting to lose my mind with this now. It's too high to be coming from the radiator but the path from the header tank overflow seems dry.

0 0 0

3. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Get it hot, then open bonnet and have a look yourself. Be ideal on a very cold day as you'd see steam if an external leak. Could be a passing clip, a pinhole in a pipe, leaking o'ring or even the water pump. Are your carpets dry within the car and do you heaters work fine?
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

4. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Cheers Kev,

I've been looking under the bonnet almost every day. Its baffling. Carpets are dry though & as long as there's a decent amount of coolant in it, the heaters are fine too.

Must be a hole somewhere on the drivers side as it always seems to have splashed up the fuel filter. Pain in the ****

0 0 0

5. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevTrem View Post
    Get it hot, then open bonnet and have a look yourself. Be ideal on a very cold day as you'd see steam if an external leak. Could be a passing clip, a pinhole in a pipe, leaking o'ring or even the water pump. Are your carpets dry within the car and do you heaters work fine?
    Had my head under the bonnet again today, neighbour passing by said what's up with it and he echoed your thoughts that it could be the water pump.

Last had it changed between 110-120k and it's just approaching 170km.

Time for a new belt and pump, fingers crossed if I get it done, that's the end of it!

0 0 0

6. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So had another look again today.

Ran it at 2500rpm and the level in the header tank didn't budge an inch.
    Took it for a 5 mile drive and when back, it had lost a load of water.

Absolute nightmare.

0 0 0

7. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Mate put some food dye in the water so's you have a chance to trace the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

8. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.wj.wilson View Post
    Mate put some food dye in the water so's you have a chance to trace the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cheers Bill, think it may well be the egr cooler now

0 0 0

9. Re: Froth in coolant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry to be sound sporadic with my suggestions, but i've changed my driving style the past 3 days, so going through the gears easy and as a result the turbo doesn't have to kick in / egr doesn't move & I've not lost any water. So just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, I gave it some welly a few miles from home and lo & behold, it ****** itself and lost water.

Any fresh ideas folks?

Thanks for reading my ongoing post btw, I appreciate all your suggestions & if I do get it sorted I'll be sure to tell you how & pass it on if I ever see a similar thread.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12