Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Currently driving a 2017 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription. Due to order a new vehicle in Q2 this year and starting to think about options. I'm pretty keen to get back into an Audi. While I love the looks, practicality and largely the technology in the Volvo, I'm continually distressed by the lack of engine, and, having owned an A6 Avant for 5 years previously, pretty keen to get back into an Audi.

I like a car with a 'good spec', and did look at the Q7 2.5 years ago, but opta for the Volvo as the prices at the time for the Q7 were just not quite reachable.

I'm wondering if the Vorsprung may make more sense financially than a well spec'd S-Line, as I'd be buying on PCP, which traditionally hasn't looked so favourably on optional extras, i.e. they are better in the list price for improved guaranteed value after 3 years. I'm starting to see deals around offering 20% off the Vorsprung.

My concern with the Vorsprung is the 22" wheels, I'm not too sure why manufacturers are going so big with SUV rims. Yes they look good, but is this in detriment to ride comfort and road noise? When we test drove a Q7 2.5 years ago, the first thing that struck me was the shear silence that it wafted along in. And, road noise has been a continual gripe for me (and others) on the Volvo on 20" rims.

So, what are folks opinions on the ride quality and noise levels in the Q7 on 22" wheels and air suspension. Is anyone in a position where they have driven a car on both 22" and smaller wheels and able to comment?

Edit: just seen my signature, that car went 4 years ago, will edit!

:wq
    Last edited by potz1024; 17-01-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Comment on signature.
    2016/16 (MY17) Volvo XC90 D5 PowerPulse Inscription - Osmium Grey with Charcoal
    Prev: 69 BMW X5 xDrive35d - Monaco Blue, Black Leather, fully loaded
    Prev: 07 Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro Le Mans Tip Avant - Oyster Grey, Charcoal Leather
    Prev: 57 BMW 335i Coupe - Black, blonde leather.
    Prev: 06 Audi A3 2.0TFSI Quatro - Silver

0 0 0

2. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi, my summer wheels are 21”, and no road noise issues at all.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I’ve got 21 inch wheels and they are fine, in my opinion not noisy (summer or winter tyres) or firm ride, but I think the air suspension takes care of the latter (assume the Vorsprung has that?). The other factor is the high cost / low choice of such low profile tyres for summer & winter in particular.

Q7 MY16 272PS S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 1 0

4. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi
    We had a Q7 S line 4M for 2 years with 21" wheels and air suspension. The ride quality in comfort was exceptional. Traded this in for a new Vorsprung 50Tdi back in October with the 22" wheels and Sports Air Suspension. This sits a further 15mm lower than the normal air suspension and the ride quality isn't as good as previous. Road noise is no different but the ride quality is certainly stiffer than the standard. All driving modes sit 1 bar lower on the Mmi.
    The new 50Tdi engine and gearbox pairing isn't as smooth as previous, it seems to have a reluctance to kick down a gear when needed.
    Overall i would definitely recommend buying, Awesome car with all the leather and toys.
    Audi SQ7 Vorsprung 2020

0 1 0

5. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks all for your input. I'm going to go in search of a Vorsprung on an extended test drive to try it on some local roads which we know well and drive regularly.

Has anyone on here come from a second generation XC90 to a Q7?

Prev: 07 Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro Le Mans Tip Avant - Oyster Grey, Charcoal Leather

0 0 0

6. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by potz1024 View Post
    Has anyone on here come from a second generation XC90 to a Q7?

Only in the purchase! I was all set to go for the XC90 but was a bit underwhelmed when I did the test drive and the discount in the UK was next to nothing at the time (Jan 2016).

Ended up looking at other options and when I drove the Q7, I was sold. Still don’t think it’s as good looking until you get inside.
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

7. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srbsq7 View Post
    Only in the purchase! I was all set to go for the XC90 but was a bit underwhelmed when I did the test drive and the discount in the UK was next to nothing at the time (Jan 2016).

Ended up looking at other options and when I drove the Q7, I was sold. Still don’t think it’s as good looking until you get inside.
    Agree, at 3.5 years into production, I still think the XC90 is the best looking of all the large SUVs, it is clearly a personal thing, but I much prefer the looks of the Volvo over the Q7. I've been pretty happy with it, but am seriously drawn back to a 6-cylinder. The D5 engine isn't bad in its own right, but it just not great in such a large car, it has to be worked hard to get a shift on and then you loose the refinement, and it could do with a bit more shove. Technology in the Volvo is good too, albeit a little frustrating and inflexible at times, and the sat nav looks like stickmen drawings. I know the next Q7 is going to touchscreen, like the A8, A7, A6 and Q8, but I'm not convinced manufacturers are doing the right thing here, we had an A4 Avant in Italy last year, and it was nice to be back to some physical buttons and rotary controls after the Volvo touchscreen.

My other option, if we can live without the 7 seats, is a new A6 50TDI, they are looking very nice.

0 0 0

8. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Agree on the touchscreen. I went into an Audi showroom to see it for myself and really didn’t like it - think it was an A7 I sat in.

I also thought the haptic feedback was horrible. Felt clunky and cheap.

I think BMW has taken the lead on tech for 2019. Had a look at the new X5 and the interior and tech really had that wow factor I got with the Q7 three years ago.

I think I will keep the Q7 for another year and then go for the 340i touring when it comes out.
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

9. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I am a former fan of Volvo and I think the new models are superb and the interiors possibly the most stylish around at present. When I was deciding on what car to buy next to suit my change of circumstances I considered BMW, Volvo, Audi and Skoda. Sadly my wife wouldn't countenance the Skoda, the BMW X5 was changing so no deals available which left Audi and Volvo.
    I test drove both. I thought the Volvo XC90 looked better both inside and out (with the exception of the virtual cockpit) but the Audi won hands down when it came to the driving experience. When comparing the two I would describe the Volvo as agricultural compared to the Audi Q7. Im not sure what Volvo were thinking when they decided every diesel engine would be two litre, its a disaster in my opinion. The ride in the Q7 is substantially better and the cabin is much quieter. I also like the fact that the Q7 came fairly well specced, I only added the tour pack and the HUD. I would have liked the 360 camera in the parking pack purely to protect my alloys!
    I didn't drive the Q7 on 22' wheels so can't comment of the ride quality or noise.

0 1 0

10. Re: Looking at a new Q7 Vorsprung 50 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I tried both 20" and 22" on extended test drives before opting for the standard S-Line 20" I don't think you will get a sensible answer to your question as everyone's opinion is axed towards their individual choice. It also a function of where you live. My favourite looking Alloys were the 21" turbine but I'll explain why I chose the 20" over the 21/22.

I live in SW London, one of the challenges this provides is high curbs and road narrowing restrictions with you guessed it high curbs and barriers. The 22" alloys on the test drive SQ7 had already picked up a lot of scrapes and bumps from curbing and even though I was careful, during the drive I added to this. The 20" having more rubber were a lot more forgiving and bounced off the shorter curbs unscathed.

I've lost count of the number of times I've clipped the curve in the crazy 7 foot road restriction by my house but got away with it as the tires bounced off. Even so, I've used my 4 repairs a year from cosmetic insurance. My neighbour went big and got the 22" and they look great from a distance and make the car look fantastic, but when you get up close, even after only 1 years they are a complete mess, scraped and missing chucks of metal.

Any it's not my driving! I challenge anyone to find a Q7/SQ7 within a 3 mile radius of SW19 with 22" alloys which don't have a scrape!

0 3 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast