Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Water in the base of the fuse box.
    You might be right, had a call from the garage saying when trying to move the car in, they had a look and found when lifted the fuse box it seemed to work, they said outside seems fine but inside is sealed so cant see, They think its fusebox and can order one for £300-350 inc fitting. I said I would come back to them, if its fusebox, I am thinking return the car as its not worth the hassle. Think if fuse has gone other components may have shorted or otherwise.

0 0 0

2. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    They are normally ok with a quick blast of contact cleaner and a blast of air, I spray Wurth terminal protector in there as well.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Here are pictures of it removed.

VW PASSAT B6 2005-2009 UNDER BONNET FUSE BOX 3C0937125 / 3C0 937 125 | eBay

There is a large plug that attaches underneath so could be a problem there, perhaps not plugged in properly or corrosion.

Otherwise a bad conexion underneath the plastic top cover where the fuses interconnect.

0 1 0

4. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the pics, I was expecting it to be more difficult to fit to be honest, seems like disconect battery, unscrew and fit in, its why I love VW's they do try make it as idiot proof as possible. Looking at the part number it seems the garage is charging a fair wack for the fuse box. I think it may be the under pins that are poor, but I am sure the zapping comes from the centre but that could be the battery and the fuses sparking due to the connection. I guess the condensation might be responsible for it for more sparking, it may make sense why at times the alarm would keep going off for no aparent reason.

What would you recomend, return, get a full refund and then buy another passat and this time check better? Reasons to return, possible other electrical damage from the shorting that I dont know about yet, alarm does at times go off for no reason with and without sound. Still needs timing belt etc changed either this or next year as it getting to 70. Seemed to have not a lot of pull power as i out it down to being a bluemotion

Reasons to keep would be, did not see much on Auto Trader when I looked earlier, if the fix is simple and no other damage then would be better to fix and keep and maybe ask for an extended warranty but dont think will get far with it

0 0 0

5. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You have to fully disconnect the front fuse bus bar (known as SA in the manual) before you can draw the box up and away. The problems you are experiencing were probaly why the car was traded in.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    It seems quite a simple fix if that is all that's wrong with it.
    There are plenty of other much more expensive things to go wrong with these cars.

The electrical problem is very unlikely to have caused any other damage.

Out of the frying pan etc.

0 0 0

7. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suley View Post
    Thanks for the pics, I was expecting it to be more difficult to fit to be honest, seems like disconect battery, unscrew and fit in, its why I love VW's they do try make it as idiot proof as possible. Looking at the part number it seems the garage is charging a fair wack for the fuse box. I think it may be the under pins that are poor, but I am sure the zapping comes from the centre but that could be the battery and the fuses sparking due to the connection. I guess the condensation might be responsible for it for more sparking, it may make sense why at times the alarm would keep going off for no aparent reason.

What would you recomend, return, get a full refund and then buy another passat and this time check better? Reasons to return, possible other electrical damage from the shorting that I dont know about yet, alarm does at times go off for no reason with and without sound. Still needs timing belt etc changed either this or next year as it getting to 70. Seemed to have not a lot of pull power as i out it down to being a bluemotion

Reasons to keep would be, did not see much on Auto Trader when I looked earlier, if the fix is simple and no other damage then would be better to fix and keep and maybe ask for an extended warranty but dont think will get far with it
    Timing belt is years past its scheduled change if it wasn't done 4 or 5 years ago as it has a distance or time change interval whichever is first. Should be changed after 4 or 5 years if lower mileage car. Distance wise a Common Rail belt change is at around 112,000 miles and a PD 95,000
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

8. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    Timing belt is years past its scheduled change if it wasn't done 4 or 5 years ago as it has a distance or time change interval whichever is first. Should be changed after 4 or 5 years if lower mileage car. Distance wise a Common Rail belt change is at around 112,000 miles and a PD 95,000
    Thanks, it was not changed, I was planning on getting it done but thought I would wait till March when it was going to go in for a full service etc. I decided to give it back, while I don't like walking to work right now, I think it had more problems then had come forward as I have noticed a few times the display did reset and time would be out / incorrect. Ironically when I picked up it had the wrong time, maybe a sign it had this problem from before and with it being intermittent they could not see the fault always happening

0 0 0

9. Re: Cold Start Failing - Brake + EPS Lights on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suley View Post
    Thanks, it was not changed, I was planning on getting it done but thought I would wait till March when it was going to go in for a full service etc. I decided to give it back, while I don't like walking to work right now, I think it had more problems then had come forward as I have noticed a few times the display did reset and time would be out / incorrect. Ironically when I picked up it had the wrong time, maybe a sign it had this problem from before and with it being intermittent they could not see the fault always happening
    The time issue was probably due to the same fuse box fault so curing that one fault may, but only may, have cured all other electrical glitches the car had. Still a timing belt change is £100 in parts plus a couple of hundred labour if not DIY so still had to be done on top of the other issues. Plus there's the oil pump drive issue that plagues the BKP, BMR and a few other engine codes that costs a few hundred to sort if not already done - unlikely to have been though if no one bothered to change the flippin' timing belt. Sounds like an ill maintained car and probably well worth staying clear.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123