1. A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    We have our A6 2.0tdi for just over a week now, on the test drive, stop start fault. Function unavailable appeared on the dash. Told the salesman about it and he assured us it was just because the battery was low, with it sitting on the forecourt.
    Anyway, it has been randomly coming up with it every so often, jst the message in the dash, no other warnings. Been back to the seller and they still insist it's just because it's not ready, heater on, battery low all that stuff, but I thought if that was the case you get the A with a circle round it and line through it. They have scanned it and no errors were present.

They have booked us in to have the car checked again in a couple of weeks time. It seems from the searching I have done, it's quite common, to get the message but not so easy to find out what's causing.

Anyone else had this?.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yep but fingers crossed not for a while now, mine also cut the engine out and had to manually restart which if in traffic was abit of a nuisance but iv scanned mine and also found no errors and the problem seems to clear up straight away but iv definitely not seen it pop up for quite a few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    We haven't had it cut the engine out. It just pops up sometimes whilst driving along, once as soon as the car is started.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Can be a few things, there are several threads on this forum about it. Being told that, it's the battery, sounds a bit dodgy to me, how would they know that ??? I would be inclined to try and get them to agree to you taking it to Audi to be looked at, at there expense or see if there is someone near you that can scan it for you, if it were battery then I would expect some sort of error code maybe several . If the car reported a problem then it should have logged it as an error code.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    My mate has scanned It with vcds and it's still showing no faults.
    Just get the error on the dash.
    I think the dealer was initially thinking I was talking about it not activating,
    Which puts the circled out a in the dash.

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiman35 View Post
    My mate has scanned It with vcds and it's still showing no faults.
    Just get the error on the dash.
    I think the dealer was initially thinking I was talking about it not activating,
    Which puts the circled out a in the dash.
    That's correct, A in a circle with a line through it. Out of curiosity it may be worth taking the car on a good 50 mile run with as little drain on the battery as possible and see if that stops it.
    If not I would suspect, initially, a failing battery.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replys.
    Interestingly, after being told by the garage it was just a low battery.
    We went for a drive to see family. Approx 160 mile round trip. On the way back a couple of.miles from home the error came up on the screen again.
    Checked battery voltage with vcds a couple of days later it was 80% charged, checked it the next day after the wife had been to work and back on 10 miles and it was 65% charged. Will get my mate to check the battery again today.
    Got to wait till the 29th for the garage to take it in. It I suspect they will also scan it and find no logged faults.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    What is the mileage on the car? That was the first symptom I was getting before the ABS sensor died on my VW CC. Occasionally start/stop fault on the dash. Restart car and it was ok. Few weeks later right rear sensor died, two weeks after rear left died. When ABS sensor dies you’ll get a full Christmas tree on the dash: abs, start/stop, cruise control, tpms etc.

Once replaced the sensors never had that error again.

Ps: initial suspicion was a battery as well but test came out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiman35 View Post
    Checked battery voltage with vcds a couple of days later it was 80% charged, checked it the next day after the wife had been to work and back on 10 miles and it was 65% charged.
    How old is the battery? The 65/80% is probably too low voltage for start/stop system, because:

- it takes too much power from the battery,
    - and the car can't charge the battery in a stop cycle.

By this, it seems to me that your car working as it should, the MMI disables the start/stop system to protect and charge the battery.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 stop start fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Car has 47000 miles on it.
    Does the mmi turning the start stop off not just bring the circled a up in the dash, not an actual fault message?.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast