Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Car settings - real or imagined?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I think the E setting is bordering on dangerous.

0 0 0

2. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan02 View Post
    It does show on mine.....eventually.

Also, i hate `E`....I would love to meet anyone who can put up with such lethargic throttle response, yes its there for a purpose but you feel you need to get out n push. Only used it once!
    Yes, I've just driven up to Newcastle on the A1(M) and changed from D to Sport mode on the way. Momentarily saw S7, but soon reverted to S6 and stayed in that gear at speeds up to 80mph. My handbook quotes maximum speed is obtained in 6th gear. Car is 3.0l quattro dsl, 180kw.

John.

0 0 0

3. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by uBondapak View Post
    I think the E setting is bordering on dangerous.
    Add stop/start to that along with the hesitancy trying to pull away from junctions/join traffic from a standstill with the DSG box. You either barely move or wheelspin away.

0 0 0

4. Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    Add stop/start to that along with the hesitancy trying to pull away from junctions/join traffic from a standstill with the DSG box. You either barely move or wheelspin away.
    I won’t forget when my ultra decided to shut down the engine while the car was still moving. I had to run away from the junction while the engine was not running.... it took me 12 months to finally decide to enable start/stop memory. Don’t know how I last 12 months with it...Once I disabled it I never enabled it. This thing is super dangerous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

5. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Having read the posts about the “e” settings on dsg, have driven the last 1500 miles in “d”, must be said its a much better experience , may have lost an mpg or two at most, but that could just be due to the winter weather. Won’t be going back in “e” except for maybe long motorway cruises.

0 0 0

6. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I find E useful (manual gearbox) in stop start traffic as it softens up the throttle response. I imagine in an auto it would make that initial take up lag when setting off feel like an eternity.
    Now: 2016 C7 2.0TDi BE with Tech Pack, magic parking, ambient lighting
    Previous: 2013 C7 2.0 TDi S Line
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE
    and an ancient 80 in the olden days...

0 0 0

7. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevbadger99 View Post
    I find E useful (manual gearbox) in stop start traffic as it softens up the throttle response. I imagine in an auto it would make that initial take up lag when setting off feel like an eternity.
    It's damned dangerous in E with an auto box. Engine is off at a junction. You see a suitable gap and put your foot down expecting to move forwards. The car starts up then the revs immediately shoot up as you, by natural instinct, put your foot down harder to try and get out. You end up wheel spinning away from the junction as traction control cuts in!
    Second scenario, coming to a junction, engine cuts out at about 4 mph, you lose power brakes and power steering!

0 0 0

8. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Engine is off at a junction!
    If I remember well, then the engine stop during driving was a "feature" of the FL models. The non-FL models doesn't stops the engine during driving. Or at least, mine doesn't stop the engine.
    Last edited by AT.; 29-01-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

9. Re: Car settings - real or imagined? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    It's damned dangerous in E with an auto box. Engine is off at a junction. You see a suitable gap and put your foot down expecting to move forwards. The car starts up then the revs immediately shoot up as you, by natural instinct, put your foot down harder to try and get out. You end up wheel spinning away from the junction as traction control cuts in!
    Second scenario, coming to a junction, engine cuts out at about 4 mph, you lose power brakes and power steering!
    Something they have sorted in the C8 which, even in the "40", is a mild hybrid meaning that all of the ancillaries remain powered even if the engine is off. Indeed yoy can see the engine shutting down when you are doing 70 on a motorway, if it decides it does not need the throttle open to maintain the desired speed.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12