Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Have your alloy wheels defected?

1. Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Over the last year or so I have noticed that my alloy wheels have started to defect.

I have attached the picture and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same?

Do you know what could have caused this? Local car wash using dodgy products possibly?

Thanks in advance.IMG_2530.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Looks like corrosion due to age and possibly salty roads. How old are the wheels?
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 1 0

3. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The finish doesn’t look original, the kerb rash looks unusual in respect of the primer colour. Using strong wheel cleaning chemicals certainly doesn’t help.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Sorry to see the state of your wheel.

It could simply be a poor/damaged wheel coating that's allowed the corrosion to get a hold.

However, beware the "local car wash" - it's not unknown for them to use builders' brick acid for wheel cleaning. Guess what.... it's cheap and very corrosive so it brings alloys up a treat. Closely followed by some serious corrosion.

Even dedicated alloy wheel cleaners can do this if they're too aggressive. Often "trade" cleaners are designed for fast results in the "prep the car for sale" market so avoiding long term damage isn't part of the reason they are used.

Happily there are many wheel cleaners that do a highly effective, if rather slower, job and there are some excellent wheel sealants that make cleaning off the normal day to day muck very easy which, in turn, helps to keep corrosion at bay.

Sadly I think yours may well need a refurb.

Andy.

0 1 0

5. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for your replies. I have read all your posts and I think it is a mix of everything including harsh chemicals being used. I may refurb but looking to sell the car. I am not sure how much a buyer would knock off due to the alloys, is it worth me refurbing then selling or sell as they are?

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great response Andy!

1 1 0

7. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are original/genuine alloys. Maybe its the pics that are deceiving your eyes?

0 0 0

8. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The finish doesn’t look original, the kerb rash looks unusual in respect of the primer colour. Using strong wheel cleaning chemicals certainly doesn’t help.
    They are original/genuine alloys. Maybe its the pics that are deceiving your eyes?

0 0 0

9. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    More likely my eyes deceiving my brain, the old peepers ain't what they once were-I hate getting old!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Have your alloy wheels defected? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hi,

If you're looking to sell it depends upon what sort of price/market you're looking at.

Refurbing just one wheel will make it stand out like a sore thumb so, for me, it would either be shelling out something around £400 to have them all done and hoping that realises more than the £400 in the resale or accept that a potential buyer may well use the condition of the wheel(s) as a bargaining point.

Only you can weigh that up.

Good Luck.

Andy.

PS IMHO it will be well worth your time looking into some high quality wheel cleaners/sealers for the new car .

0 0 0