Notices

User Tag List

Thread: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for)

1. XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi All
    I think I have 'after market' xenons' on my A6 Allroad. Due to the fact that the Ignitor Boxes are just 'hanging' in place/places (not factory fixed?) and the Wiring is a bit... like I would do!

Anyway. I have a Dipped Beam OUT at moment.

So my Question to those who know is:

How do I know if it is the Bulb gone or if the Ignitor is faulty?

I had a few occasions during the Summer when that Bulb wouldn't come on.... then if I turned off and on again (Standard Windows Fault rectification!) It would work.

I have never had Proper xenons before - so don't know what to expect?

How do I Check? Can I simply SWAP the Ignitors to see if transposes the issue?

or do I just Buy a pair of new bulbs and hope that cures it? ( if £5 I'd do bulb obviously .... but at £ !! each LOL)

Any previous experience and knowledge very welcome.

Many Thanks

yangi

0 0 0

2. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I’d swap the igniters or bulbs (whichever is easiest). Xenon bulbs are definitely more than a £5er though. Depending on what you do it will ID the bulb or igniter as the problem. Have a play and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 1 0

3. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks M1tchy
    Yes, what I meant was if the Bulbs WERE just £5 I would just have bought one and tried it but at £xxx worth checking other options first.
    I wasn't sure if disconnecting the ignitors would cause any problems.... but I guess I am being too nervous! LOL they are only power supplies at the end of the day. I will swap them over at weekend and see where I go from there!

Kind Regards
    Yangi

0 0 0

4. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Ah, got you! My bad.

It’s just a simple plug and play job, just make sure the ignition is off and key is out as that little box changes the voltage to something which will ruin your day! Completely fine if the lights are off and ignition off though

Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 1 0

5. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So, finally got time today to swap the ballast units over (they are different makes - but plugs the same) and hey-ho.... It's not the Bulb, its the unit.

I thought about removing both units (as obviously aftermarket) and just fitting normal bulbs. But having looked online and seen that New 'Kits' aren't that expensive (have seen same type as the current working ballast) that I might just replace both ballasts and bulbs.

However, I am unsure as to what type of Bulb???? I think it's H1 type as the fitting into the headlight is quite small. Would this be correct?

Kind Regards

0 0 0

6. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    These are now an instant MOT failure and have always been illegal, section 4.1.4 paragraph 9

Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp”

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_4.1
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ooohhhhhhhhh
    OK
    Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    However, I believe LED headlight conversions are ok. This is according to my sister in law who is a mechanic and does MOTs for a living, despite struggling to spell MOT!

0 0 0

9. Re: XENON HEADLIGHTS (have checked other posts.... cant find what I looking for) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I am not sure, it isn't an MOT failure but I think it is still an offence, the article in Car Mechanics magazine a few months ago said it was illegal to have ANY led bulbs on the outside of a vehicle fitted into conventional light housings and the regulations still say you must have auto leveling and headlight pressure wash, it's not worth the agro, good condition headlights and decent bulbs.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0