0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Q7quattro View Post
    click link below and go to letter H)

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=765745
    This is for MMI 3G, RMC does not have menu “diagnose”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

2. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Ah ok , I thought the process for enabling AUX on the 3G was the same as the 3G+.

im sure someone will chime in soon

0 0 0

3. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I managed to work around it with two Bluetooth devices. It requires manual set to Audi MMI. I’ll play with it for few days and provide a feedback

0 0 0

4. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artheb View Post
    The unit arrived few days ago but I only managed to get around it today. I found an issue though. I have an RMC with AMI and need to enable AUX input. I have enabled green menu on RMC but cannot see where will I enable AUX Does anyone know?
    As I've got the RMC w/o AMI and AUX enabled by default, is there anything (coding wise) that might help you? Happy to scan the particular module etc. and supply the output...

Sent from my mobile...

0 0 0

5. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The RMC from what I remember is more complicated than MMI 3G - the hidden green menu is much more limited in what you can do I.e. not much!

To enable AMI, I think the unit has to be parameterized with VCP or ODIS rather than it just being a coding thing but I could be wrong. Kufatec do a coding dongle for AMI but it's €100 Might be worth giving VAG Car Coding a shout instead.

0 0 0

6. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I have the AMI enabled and ordered AMI aux cable which will solve the problem. However, this is not what it supposed to be.

For now, I have IPhone connected to MMI Bluetooth and CarPlay Bluetooth at the same time. That way I have CarPlay video piece working and audio piece over MMI Bluetooth . The only thing is that I need to manually set iPhone to use MMI for music and phone call audio device.

It relatively works well, I would give it 8/10.

There are couple glitches though which I am working through with the seller.

1. Wireless CarPlay uses Bluetooth and WiFi together. WiFi dropped for me twice which resulted in losing CarPlay interface on the screen. Had to manually tap CarPlay WiFi network to reconnect.

2. Phone did not connect couple times automatically. Need to do few more tests on that.

3. Screen at the edge is bit blurry, I guess it could be an issue with the low resolution of 6.5 inch screen.

4. I will need to run an aux cable underneath the centre console to the armrest for AMI audio. It wasn’t not supposed to be necessary.

I treat all above as a product is not as described and will work with the seller on sort of resolution. I’ll post the outcome shortly.

0 0 0

7. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    After talking to the seller, we decided to use wired connection instead of wireless.

CarPlay seems to be much more stable and I can still use MMI Bluetooth for the audio. It also charges the phone. Let’s see how that goes now.

0 0 0

8. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Here are the steps I took in order to install the CarPlay

This is the video I followed. I didn’t have any panel tools so I used my kids plastic spoon and knife to pop out the aircon panel.

Wireless Apple CarPlay Retrofit for Audi A6 A7 C7 MMI 3G - YouTube

Connection diagram

My additional comments.

Please note that after removing the MMI unit , it will trigger the airbag fault which needs to be cleared with VCDS when you put it back together. It happens when you disconnect the passenger off airbag notification.

1. If you want to use AUX, then you need to replace the green connector block on the 48 harness
    2. If you use AMI connection then no need to change the green connector block
    3. MMI control- You need to connect the blue cable from the CarPlay to the yellow white cable from the 48 harness. For RMC it is connected in the different block on the 48 harness but it’s an only one yellow white cable so you cannot make a mistake.

4. Unit comes with the dedicated microphone. I don’t use it but I installed it in the panel above the head.

I used my cat’s toy to push it behind the ceiling and behind the airbag on the pillar.

I ran the cable underneath the seal on the pillar and behind the glove box which also needs to be removed in order to place the CarPlay unit.

5. CarPlay unit I placed behind the glove box. There is some space to place it. Cables can be pushed from the MMI through the small gap. It’s pretty easy.

6. CarPlay USB is currently located in the glove box. There was a blanked whole which I used to run the cable from the CarPlay which is just behind the glove box.

My hacks.

I wasn’t happy with the performance of the wireless CarPlay so seller asked me to try the cable CarPlay. It works very well and charges the iPhone. I’m good with that. I’m a network engineer and I prefer cables anyway.

Audio hack

I keep my phone connected to the original MMI Bluetooth. That way I keep all the regular MMI behaviour of the phone calling + CarPlay enhancements and I don’t need AMI or AUX cables .

On the phone I configured it to force the Bluetooth speaker for the phone calls.
    Settings->general->accessibility->call routing

MMI media is set to my phone as a music streaming device. That way Apps send audio back to the MMI. I use Spotify and tunein. Sometimes you need to manually change the app to use Bluetooth as an audio output. Happened twice so far. Not a big deal.

I ordered AMI aux cable anyway just to see how would that work but don’t think I will use it.

Those are my findings so far. Lack of touch screen is not an issue at all. All MMI controls work very well.

Some photos

Last edited by artheb; 13-02-2023 at 03:07 PM.

0 1 0

9. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to post the wright up.

now that carplay has the option of Google Maps - you’ll be able to show “satellite “ images rather than just the road layouts.

It will be interesting to hear how well the Google Satellite map performs.

0 1 0

10. Re: CarPlay for MMI 3G 4G RMC 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi , I bought from Ali express and I’m struggling ! Can’t understand the MMI wire connect ? Are you supposed to pull yellow wire out and connect to blue MMI video seems to show him just hooking it to wire which doesn’t make sense to me .. thanks for any assistance

0 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast