Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good evening and happy new year to all.
    Having a day off I decided to remove the battery etc and check the drains. Blocked solid. One bung now taken out and the other pushed through as it had a pipegoing through it and wouldn't pull out. Drains ok now. I ventured to take the cabin filter case out and put a new seal and mastic. What a disaster, I couldn't get the housing and gulley on properly and cracked the gulley. The mastic started to set and stuck to everything including me. Going to have to remove it, scrape it all out and get another housing and seal. Still can't get the windscreen trim back in properly if anyone has a foolproof tip to share?
    My main issue is my main fan runs constantly which slightly cold the engine. I can turn the a.c. fan off with the econ button. I've changed the CTS and was going to change the lower sensor on the rad pipe bit I don't think that's the problem. Even if I unplug this sensor the fan still runs. I've just been or to the car (7 degrees c outside) and tried spinning the main fan. It won't even complete one rotation either way when I spin it? Is this likely too be the viscous coupling grabbing on all the time? I thought it should at least do a few rounds when cold? Whether hot or cold the fan is running constant at a fair speed and sounds like a and hovercraft. Any thoughts appreciated. I've run vcds avx or says CTS fault but it was a new one, I have another to try but I don't think it'll solve it. The other errors are all related to the ccm which I believe to be flooded or broken (carpet is wet from the leaking filter seal and drains) I have a used one I bought and intend trying to access and install tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The viscous fan should windmill all the time but not run hard, if it does the coupling is dead, it is a completely self contained non serviceable unit.

If the screen trim won’t clip back in and the groove in the plastic retainer is clean then the trim retains edge is worn out, take care not to crack the screen, it is easy as I should know....

you should not use setting mastic for this reason, VAG have a special non setting Butyl rubber sealant rope which is perfect.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, the fan runs heavy at every stage hot or cold so as you say the coupling is knackered. I've had a look and it appears to bolt straight onto the back of the fan( mute research needed on fitting). I will have a look for the vag sealant, I'll have to bite the bullet and totally clean up the cabin filter housing area. Even if I have to scrape it , treat the metal and stone chip it.
    I was expecting the removal of the trim to be the pain, maybe I'm just not getting the refit thing right. I'm glad I took the battery out it was corroded underneath so it was treated and the mud and debris that bunged the drains was ridiculous. I have a suspicion that I may have tried fitting the housing and gulley either completely wrong or in the wrong sequence. I'll chuck a few buckets of water over the screen tomorrow and see if the new filter gets wet. I was stupid in rushing it with limited daylight and the weather turns on a whim on Wales. I will try and source the casing and seal next week and then start removing the old one, hoping the mastic hasn't cured hard.
    With regards to the fan I counted the 11 or twelve blades of the fan and put a piece of pager on one. I spun it in both directions and it only turned maybe 6 or 7 funds either way. Definitely sounds like the coupling to me. My thoughts were the fan just trundles along at a slow speed all the time and when the temp increases it sort of locks and spins faster . Looks like mine has maybe locked or is partly locked constantly causing the slow spin by hand and the fast roaring speed when the car is turned on , thanks for the help and HNY

0 0 0

4. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a thought (and probably a stupid one!)
    Whilst googling the problem for hours. Google the place where you get 1000 answers all conflicting! Someone mentioned a problem similar and said that he had a similar problem and it turned out to be the a.c. pressure valve was faulty and said it was getting the cooling fan to operate non stop? Is this likely at all considering the a.c. fan will run if not on econ mode. I think the gas is either low or run out but that's a luxury at present. I'm still in the faulty coupling corner for now. About 50 wood from Germany. I don't see the point of a used one off a certain online auction site when it could be the same or be on its way to 6

0 0 0

5. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The coupling is a complete **** to change, you have to bring the front into service position, hold the drive wheel with a pin wrench and then release the 8mm hex head set screw deep inside the mounting bracket, then you can lift the unit out and fit a new coupling to the original fan.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Total pig of a job, even getting the car to the service position is a major nightmare. Would it be worth changing using a used fan/ coupling job if this is possible to do? If so could the fan and coupling come out of the engine without all that grief? I haven't really looked at the access to it in real life. Failing that if the labour is prohibitive I might be better stunning the car until the end of its mot in September and flog out for parts. It was 550 so if I only spend basic service items it's just over a tenner a week, which considering I live in the sticks is far cheaper than public transport (especially when there are no buses at the weekends!)

0 0 0

7. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have to avoid used parts if at all possible due to the warranty labour cost implications which you don’t have to worry about. Fitting a used assembly means you could use grips to hold the pulley but you may still have a problem tightening it up without the pin wrench. The part number of the coupling i 058 121 350 and is a steep £207.06 from VW but Euro Car Parts list one under their number 206440010 by Topran for much less BUT this is only shown on their trade web site, not the retail site and they only have two in the whole company.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gsf have a sale on and it's 37 quid for the coupling! I'm wondering if I can get the fan and coupling detached inside the engine bay. Maybe by removing the alternator I can access then enough to split the fan, / couplings 3 shark bolts. I'll try and take a picture later. I can get a 8mm square or hex bit on an extension bar into the back of the fan pulley. I'm wondering if between the fan/ coupling and they pulley that large connection is a reverse tightening nut? You would need a thin spanner, it appears to be astound the 40mm size. It would be right but of rather scrape my knuckles than drop the front of the car.
    I fitted a be CTS and that error went( pigs ear, meant to just unclip the wiring, rejoice the horse shoe clip, swap sensors attach wires and go.) Not me, it to me nearly an hour to get the wiring plug off, dripped the horseshoe clip in the engine bay, gauged my hand causing me to drop the new sensor and O ring, nightmare
    I changed the ccm. Well I pulled back the carpet, found the old one in a soaking black box. I've had a quick mop up and plugged a used ccm module and now I have interior lights, reg lights, lights I didn't know should be there like on the doors, headlight adjustment. Very happy with progress in that department. When that's dry and I refit the carpet, trim etc I'll try and mount the box up under the glove box off the floor and seal all the wires up properly.

Does anybody know where the aerial or transmitter/reciever is for the remote key fob. New battery but still no distance. I have to almost put it next to the drivers window

0 0 0

9. Re: Viscous fan on permanently 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm looking at this which is an image if the exact item in my car. It looks like i must be able to hold the pulley/ clutch still.. Maybe with the metal area with ""flats " on and unscrew the 8mm bolt behind, then niggle and wiggle to get the rest apart. I don't like the idea of dropping the front of the car into "service position". Vw might as well call it almost half dismantled position instead. I will investigate access tomorrow whilst at work if time permits and get the parts in for the beginning of next week. Got an alternator clutch bearing and tool coming soon so hopefully I can do both together. With fan on the car was only getting up to around the 70 degrees mark driving last night (9 degrees outside temp)

0 0 0