Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello,

I've been searching around the web for answers but i didn't find anything to pin point my issue exactly.

almost a year ago i purchased my first ever VW, a 2010 golf TSI twin charged which is my 5th card after a 2006 Cadillac CTS, a 2004 Mustang GT, Civic Type R ep3 and last is a Cadillac sts-v.

for the entire year the car was driven daily and i was extremely happy until i changed my Spark plugs in June and the garage noticed a slight misfire which wasn't much at all. so he assumed it's just the carbon build up and it will go away, however now the car started acting crazy ever since and it started with whenever i start the car and stay parked the EPL light comes and it starts misfiring ( Cold or warm .. it's the same ) and even when i come to a stop in traffice it's the same, i simply turn it off and on again and it's all gone and it drives normally again !

the misfire is in Cylinder 4 and i assumed it's only a bad coil plug and i replaced both 3 & 4 with a used pair in the garage from a different engine with no issues at all, but the issue is still there .. i'm confused and i figured i might search around for answers as i do have trust issues with mechanics

the other issue which is also weird, my Temp gauge is always on 90 Degrees which is the normal temp, however i recently noticed whenever i drive the car for a longer trip than usual the gauge would rise by one dash and even a little bit higher and goes back to normal when i'm at a stop or sometimes even when driving, any thoughts ?

0 0 0

2. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    If you have changed the spark plugs, or had them changed I would not rule out that a spark plug may be faulty... I had that happen to me a long time ago on a Seat Leon Cupra I owned... I had the plugs changed (dealer changed them but I supplied them) and it ran like a bag of nails, misfiring like mad.. The dealer put the old plugs back in and it ran as good as ever..

Problem is spark plugs get dropped even when new and on the boxes, the slightest damage to the ceramic will cause issues.... if you have not already checked, may be worth a try...
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

3. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    If you have changed the spark plugs, or had them changed I would not rule out that a spark plug may be faulty... I had that happen to me a long time ago on a Seat Leon Cupra I owned... I had the plugs changed (dealer changed them but I supplied them) and it ran like a bag of nails, misfiring like mad.. The dealer put the old plugs back in and it ran as good as ever..

Problem is spark plugs get dropped even when new and on the boxes, the slightest damage to the ceramic will cause issues.... if you have not already checked, may be worth a try...

ill give that a shot later on today

i never thought the VW will make me feel like a total noob, but i guess it's new science to me since i've been around the american muscle scene for a long while.

0 0 0

4. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So an update

I changed the plugs and oh boy the old ones were messed up .. however it seems that I still have an issue with coils 3&4 .

Car does feel better though

Those two I replaced from the garage which both are used.

What are the chances that both are busted .. just my luck I guess

I’ll do a switch between 3&4 and 1&2 later to determine the issue

0 0 0

5. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Could be a combination, the plugs or plug may have an issue and the coils, being 2nd hand may also be at fault, again one or all of them... changing around the coild may point to which one
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

6. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I switched the coils and still .. 3&4 :facepalm:

I did however noticed the wiring looks in pretty bad shape so I might see if I can fix that first

This car is a fighter and I’m extremely happy with this little thing

0 0 0

7. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    New update..

this morning i started the car and it was normal until i put it in drive and boom the car dies.. tried this couple of times and its the same thing ..

i'll check it later when i get back from work.

0 0 0

8. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Very odd.... Now you mention wiring, if you do a search for the wiring repair kits in Google they seem to be very common, so maybe it is a corroded or damaged wire/terminal...

When @Crasher is online again he may be able to advise...
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

9. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahuremi89 View Post
    as i do have trust issues with mechanics
    I also have trust issues, with customers

anyway.... as a mechanic I have huge experience with the (what I presume is) the CAVD engine which was great when new, (wining International engine of the year in 2009 and 2010) BUT as it has aged it has proved to be unreliable, fragile and appalling difficult to fix even with the correct equipment. You make no mention of having carried out the basics which in this case are

1) Fault code read, print, clear, drive, re-read
    2) Compresion test

without these two tests you are breaking all the rules of diagnostics and going for the throwing parts at it method which is the last gasp resort. Note also that removing and reinstalling coil packs damages them even with the correct tools and that the plugs insulator should be smeared very lightly with special silicone grease to prevent the rubber sticking to the porcelain which causes the unit to be stretched upon removal

Tne temperature gauge on your car is programmed to read 90 when the engine is really 77 and still read 90 at 110 so something is clearly wrong, you may have a faulty thermostat or just the temperature sender and a fault code read could help in determining this.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: a New Tsi owner with a ton of issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I also have trust issues, with customers

anyway.... as a mechanic I have huge experience with the (what I presume is) the CAVD engine which was great when new, (wining International engine of the year in 2009 and 2010) BUT as it has aged it has proved to be unreliable, fragile and appalling difficult to fix even with the correct equipment. You make no mention of having carried out the basics which in this case are

1) Fault code read, print, clear, drive, re-read
    2) Compresion test

without these two tests you are breaking all the rules of diagnostics and going for the throwing parts at it method which is the last gasp resort. Note also that removing and reinstalling coil packs damages them even with the correct tools and that the plugs insulator should be smeared very lightly with special silicone grease to prevent the rubber sticking to the porcelain which causes the unit to be stretched upon removal

Tne temperature gauge on your car is programmed to read 90 when the engine is really 77 and still read 90 at 110 so something is clearly wrong, you may have a faulty thermostat or just the temperature sender and a fault code read could help in determining this.

Sorry I did not mean mechanics in general just the ones here as we don’t have a strong market for European cars

But thank you so much for the great info

I’ll do both tests later as soon as I reach home as I’m stuck in traffic for the past hour

0 0 0