Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Guidance on oil leak in Audi A4 B8 2.0l CAGA TDI engine (with photos)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Guidance on oil leak in Audi A4 B8 2.0l CAGA TDI engine (with photos) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    From just looking at the parts system I have on my iPad it looks like you cannot upgrade to the later manifold, at least not easily.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Guidance on oil leak in Audi A4 B8 2.0l CAGA TDI engine (with photos) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    NO bother. Il keep an eye out for the parts so and give an update in this thread when they get fitted to help anyone else in a similar situation.

0 0 0

3. Re: Guidance on oil leak in Audi A4 B8 2.0l CAGA TDI engine (with photos) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a second hand inlet manifold from eBay for around £70. It didnt have as much carbon buildup as the one on the car, but I decided to clean it out before installation anyway. The bottom gasket was removed. I removed 8 black screws around the manifold body to open it.

At one end of the manifold I removed the silver clip, arm and silver axel on the butterfly valves axel, which allowed me push the butterfly valves out of their position. You have to be careful here not to force it as the thermo plastic is brittle, and there are a few small parts. I dumped everything into a bucket of water with plenty of washing powder and left it there for three days to soften everything up.

During this time, I had sourced a third-party, probably Chinese replacement throttle body and EGR valve from ebay. They probably wont last as long as OEM, but at around a third the price, I didnt mind. I figured they would have more life than worn second hand parts.

When I took the inlet manifold parts out of the bucket, I cleaned them off with a pressure washer. Around 90% if not more of the carbon was removed, which I was happy with. I had planned on using oven cleaner on the rest but I didnt bother in the end. I dried them off and put them together again.

All the major parts arrived by the weekend.

I followed the youtube videos given earlier in this thread to replace the EGR, throttle valve and the manifold. The removed parts are shown below.

I had to remove the servo module from the old butterfly flaps to put on the cleaned intake manifold

I had also ordered a new replacement inlet manifold gasket and EGR gasket. They hadnt arrived by the weekend that I wanted to do the job so i just reused the older ones. Everything went pretty straightforward. A photo with everything off is shown below:

I did happen to loose the screw that holds the dip stick in place down into the engine bay somewhere, but hopefully it will show up on the undertray when I do the next service. Once everything was in place I powered up the car (didnt start it) and connected up VCDS. Under modules, engine, I selected "fill fuel lines" or something similiar to purge the fuel through the engine as I had to disconnect the pump lines to remove the intake manifold. I ran this pump for 30s. Then I started the engine. After a couple of turnovers it started fine. I brought the car for a 30min drive. Afterwards, i checked VCDS for any errors and thankfully there werent any.

So far, so good, hopefully it keeps going! If anyone was wondering, cleaning out all the carbon in the parts didnt seem to have any noticeable performance increase in the car. Maybe the fuel economy might improve, who knows.

Overall, I was delighted how it went. There were no major hiccups and fingers crossed I dont get any other engine errors.

Thanks for your help, Crasher!
    Attached Images

0 1 0

4. Re: Guidance on oil leak in Audi A4 B8 2.0l CAGA TDI engine (with photos) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to give an update on the fix: I noticed another oil leak on the undercover on the engine. Looking aroung the engine bay, it appeared to be coming from the EGR valve, throttle body area. Sure enough when I removed the EGR valve there was oil coming out of one of the weep holes :-(

The moral of the story: Dont by Chinese knock-offs if you are hoping for them to last more than a year.
    Ive ordered a replacement from a scrappers. Still not as good as getting one new, but its an old car at this stage.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12