Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a C5 A6 avant, but I need to figure out if I can fit 3 child seats in the back.

Could anyone who has one please measure the distance between the 2 sets of belt buckles in the back?

There are mixed reports online although there are some pictures of 3 seats in the back on another forum, just want to check if I will get a slim booster in there.

Thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Just measured between the two central buckles ( so centre seat width) and they are maximum of 275mm apart for inside faces.

They do sit almost completely down in the seat squab though in two square holes so passengers can effectively sit on them if they are wider.

This may help if you had to splay them to get a belt operative on a booster, some of those go narrower at the rear which could help you.

0 0 0

3. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannu5 View Post
    Just measured between the two central buckles ( so centre seat width) and they are maximum of 275mm apart for inside faces.

They do sit almost completely down in the seat squab though in two square holes so passengers can effectively sit on them if they are wider.

This may help if you had to splay them to get a belt operative on a booster, some of those go narrower at the rear which could help you.
    Thanks Hannu.

I did buy the car and the good news is the seats just about fit.

It's a pain to belt up the 2 in booster seats but once they are in they are safe and secure.

Just a few things to sort out on the car, air suspension has problems (leaky airbags and tired pump) and an aux in for the stereo.

0 0 0

4. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently your supposed to leave a gap between the car seats. If you visit Mothercare and get them to fit your seats they won't do it if you can't get a gap between them.

I have estate cars with 3 car seats in without a gap, it's still safe from what I've read on the net. Official guidelines are a minefield.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If you follow that guideline almost no cars will fit 3 across the back. I had a Multipla before with 3 full size back seats but the arms of the boosters still touched each other.

I'm happy that my kids are safe. The biggest pain is getting them belted in, the 2 in boosters can't reach between the seats to do it so I have to.

Small price to pay to be in an Audi rather than a miserable people carrier.

In general the car is doing well for its 230k miles. Suspension pump sorted with a bagpipingandy kit and 2 new rear airbags and there's no more sinking and it goes between levels in about 40sec. Think it will need a few suspension arms for MOT in April and I'm averaging about 29 mpg but otherwise its a great car.

0 0 0

6. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_dink View Post
    If you follow that guideline almost no cars will fit 3 across the back. I had a Multipla before with 3 full size back seats but the arms of the boosters still touched each other.

I'm happy that my kids are safe. The biggest pain is getting them belted in, the 2 in boosters can't reach between the seats to do it so I have to.

Small price to pay to be in an Audi rather than a miserable people carrier.

In general the car is doing well for its 230k miles. Suspension pump sorted with a bagpipingandy kit and 2 new rear airbags and there's no more sinking and it goes between levels in about 40sec. Think it will need a few suspension arms for MOT in April and I'm averaging about 29 mpg but otherwise its a great car.
    I agree I was just mentioning what I'd been told, mind, the guidelines aren't clear cut anyway and car seats are all different shapes and sizes anyway... I'm confident mind are safe too!

Sounds like you have an Allroad.

I had a 2.7.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: C5 avant rear seat measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_dink View Post
    I have not needed the bagpipingandy kit yet but I am very impressed that he does them. It's a pity there aren't more kits like that for other things. Prior to Andy's kit, discarding a complete pump with the casting, a motor etc. just because the piston ring is worn is ridiculously wasteful and having to pay for the complete pump unpleasant and this seems a general trend in car repair.

I'm not sure what you were referring to in "otherwise it's a great car". The 29mpg sounds quite reasonable.

On the car seats, again it seems odd that getting three seats across the back of a car should be hard, i.e. you would hope the seat manufacters would have treated that as requirement of the design but there is no way we would have been able to do that with the seats we have on the Merc A180 I had previously. Fortunately, our oldest met the height limit for not needing a booster before our third daughter was born but I can't think that is a typical situation.

On moving from booster/child seat to an adult seat belt, it seems to me the height limit is probably there to make sure the seat belt goes across the chest and not across the neck so even if the child meets the height limit, I would do that check in the car in case seat belt anchorage points vary in height.

0 0 0