Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

I need some help to narrow down the cause of flashing coil light and car going into limp mode.

Car: VW Passat, B6, 2010 plate. Diesel, 2L, manual.

Error code from VCDS;

1 Fault Found:
    000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
    P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 10100000
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 4
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 232243 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2013.04.29
    Time: 18:09:05

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 2277 /min
    Speed: 109.0 km/h
    Load: 87.8 %
    Absolute Pres.: 2264.4 mbar
    Absolute Pres.: 1621.8 mbar
    Lambda: 98.6 %
    Lambda: 44.2 %

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

---

I bought the car in 2016 and haven't set the date, that is why it shows 2013. Mileage is correct (current error). I was on the motorway, leaving 50MPH zone and accelerating back to 70MPH in 5th gear when the error appeared the first time.

My commute to work from temporary accommodation is on country roads so didn't get to use 5th gear all week, car behaved normally. Today on the way back as soon as I changed to 5th gear got the flashing coil symbol and car went into limp mode. After restarting the engine (in a lay-by), a 4 hour trip home did not throw up any errors. I didn't use 5th gear for the rest of the journey and except for higher revs and poorer fuel economy, no dashboard errors.

Any acceleration, even if it's gentle just to maintain speed in 5th gear seems to trigger this fault.

Any thoughts as to what could cause this error with these conditions? I don't plan to do the the repair myself (unless really simple), just want to know where to point the garage and get an indication of costs.

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You probably have a leak in the vacuum control system so this needs smoke testing.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You probably have a leak in the vacuum control system so this needs smoke testing.
    Thank you for the reply, I will pass on the details to the garage.

Is a leak in the vacuum control system going to affect 5th gear more than other gears? I did about 250 miles yesterday, mostly motorway/dual carriage in 4th gear up-to 70mph. None of the lower gears showed any symptoms of this fault.

0 0 0

4. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    When you are in the higher gears the turbo is being allowed to build more pressure, so there will be more of a discrepancy in expected boost to actual boost pressure.

If the vacuum pipes are ok get them to check the turbo boost pipes between te turbo/ intercooler/ inlet manifold.
    Could be an intrcooler leak, pipe joint leaking or split in a rubber section of boost pipe.
    These can be difficult to find & need carefull inspection as they only show up under pressure.

0 0 0

5. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    When you are in the higher gears the turbo is being allowed to build more pressure, so there will be more of a discrepancy in expected boost to actual boost pressure.

If the vacuum pipes are ok get them to check the turbo boost pipes between te turbo/ intercooler/ inlet manifold.
    Could be an intrcooler leak, pipe joint leaking or split in a rubber section of boost pipe.
    These can be difficult to find & need carefull inspection as they only show up under pressure.
    Thank you for explaining, it's starting to make more sense.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amjad175 View Post
    Thank you for explaining, it's starting to make more sense.
    Hi Amjad

I'm having the same issue with my 59 Passat 2.0 ltr diesel.

The turbo recently went so I've gone through some major works with a local mechanic. New turbo, new EGR Valve, Inlet Manifold and flap etc.

Since getting the car back I've had this issue, some near £3k down the car is running better but this problem occurs now and the engine management light is still on!! That could be an electrical fault but think my mechanic may be barking up the wrong tree.

I'm really intrigued if this ever got resolved for you and if so what it ended up being?

Thanks

Joel

0 0 0

7. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    @Jpto15, This thread is over seven years old, you will get a better result if start your own new thread and include a fault code report, the cars VIN and the parts fitted.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: Coil light flashing, limp mode. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

Sorry can't help with the issue, had injector/turbo issues on a different car previously which become a money pit very quickly. I didn't want to go through a similar process and still not have a fully reliable car so I traded it in for a Toyota Avensis, 17 plate.

All the best getting your issue resolved.

Amjad.

0 1 0