Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone new here and have a problem with my A4 Avant
    I Noticed my boot light on the ceiling isnt working, not sure how long it’s been like that, thought it would be a simple new bulb, but I see there is two bulbs and both seem to be ok but not working, not even manually with the rocker switch, I notice when my headlights are on the rocker switch does light up red, so power is getting to light unit, all my other interior lights work and when I open the tail gate, my light on there also works, could this just be a problem with the light unit, I doubt it would be a fuse as my other interior lights work, and like I said the rocker switch lights up red as well. 🤔

0 0 0

2. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    How do the bulbs seem to be ok, have you swapped them into another light unit ?

first step swap bulbs out if possible with known working ones
    second step get a multimeter on the light terminals and see what voltage if any you are getting when switched on
    if no voltage pull unit out and inspect to see if dry joint or any other visible fault.

0 0 0

3. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Could also be corrosion on the contacts, try a little emery cloth on them.

0 0 0

4. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The whole unit looks to be in excellent condition, no corrosion, I do have a multi meter but I’m not very electronic minded and don’t really know how to test this properly

0 0 0

5. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

6. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok i dont really know what im doing with a multimeter, but i thought i would give it ago. Seems the two centre pins give some readings on the meter (power and earth to the bulbs maybe?), i get readings no matter where i put the rocker switch, so if its set to the off position, i'm still getting a circuit is that right?? hopefully someone knows if i'm doing this right?

IMG_2943.jpgIMG_2944.jpgIMG_2945.jpgIMG_2946.jpg

0 0 0

7. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    You are measuring resistance. Plug it in the car and set the switch to on with the bulb in. Put a probe on each end of the bulb.

Set the multimeter to the V with the solid and dashed lines, either 200 or 20 setting. This will measure the voltage you are getting to the bulb. Should be 12V I think.

0 0 0

8. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I believe I had it set on resistance, ok I will give that a try tomorrow morning thank you 👍🏻

0 0 0

9. Re: Boot light not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so I plugged the unit back in, still wasn’t working, put the multimeter on the bulb connections and nothing showing, gave the wires a rug still nothing, then I quite roughly rocked the rocker switch back and forth, one bulb then lit up, tried putting it back in the ceiling and it went off, so switched the switch back on and off quite a few times and it came on again, the other bulb doesn’t look blown but wouldn’t come on even though the multi meter said there was current from the two connections, so I think it’s the switch that’s the problem

0 0 0