1. ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife's Golf has the ABS, ESP on with the brake light flashing. I took it to a local mechanic, and he came up with a code - 01130 - ABS Operation: Implausible Signal.

It looks like this could be related to the 45F2 ABS recall just over a year ago. From what I can gather, software was updated (whether the unit was working or not) and then it was tested again. If certain codes came up (of which 01130 was one) then they replaced the ABS control unit. If nothing came up, that was the end of the work required.

My wife's Golf only had the software updated - no replacement unit.

The Golf is now with a VW dealer, who are saying that it looks like a ABS control unit problem, and they are talking to VW to see what "goodwill" they can get, because the problem doesn't normally happen this long after the software update - sounds to me like they know that it is the same problem that the recall was for, but don't want to admit it and may expect us to pay for at least some of it, when it should possibly have been done a year ago.

Has anyone else had the experience of the ABS control unit failing after having the software update? If so, did VW cough up for it?

Cheers

Pete

0 2 0

2. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good news is that they just called back and apparently VW agreed to a replacement at no cost without any arguing required! (although it will take a few days to get the part in)

0 2 0

3. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Pete,

I have the the exact same problem with my VW Golf. My dealership is not willing to help. Should I go straight to VW, or could you let me know the dealership that dealt with your problem?

How long after the recall did the ABS light come on? Again mine only had the software updated and not a new unit.

Your advice would be really appreciated!

Carol

0 1 0

4. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear that! The ABS light started coming on about 14 months after the "update".

The dealer we went to was Martins VW in Basingstoke. Before that, our local mechanic was scratching his head over the error code, and I did a bit of research on the code, so that when I phoned Martins, I could sound like a) I knew what I was talking about (probably more than the chap on the end of the phone) and b) I was going to take the line that this was clearly the same issue related to the recall and that the software update hadn't worked, so the unit needed to be replaced as per the recall. If that doesn't work, threaten going to trading standards and VOSA I guess, and mention that you know others that have had the fault recur after only getting a software update rather than the replacement unit.

Have you had a diagnosis with fault codes etc?

This is the code we were getting - 01130 - Ross-Tech Wiki

This is a document about the recall - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...6V913-6017.pdf
    Importantly, on page 13, it states "If faults 01130: ABS Operation – ImplausibleSignal with 125 shown in the 4th line of theExpanded ambient conditions and/or 16352: ControlModule Faulty with 96 shown in the 4th line of theExpanded ambient conditions are stored in the ABSControl Module (address word 0003), the ABSmodule will require replacement." I don't know if we had 125 shown on the 4th line, but it does at least show the link between this fault and the recall and how the module should be replaced.

Some other forum discussions that will help inform you (I haven't re-read these, so not sure how relevant, but I did bookmark them a few months ago in case!);

Mk5 Safety Recall Notices - 45F2 - ABS/ESC Control Unit - MkV (Mk5) Golf, Golf Plus & Jetta - uk-mkivs
    VW recall 45F2 is pretty much useless : Volkswagen
    VWVortex.com - VW Recall 45F2 / NHTSA Recall 16V-913, what's this about?

Good luck!

Pete

0 2 0

5. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Pete,

Thank you ever so much! I can’t remember the code off the top of my head, but I believe it was the exact same issue as yours.

I shall let you know how I get on!

Carol

0 1 0

6. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello Carol

Like you and Pete, I have the same problem. Had the safety recall and software update, the control unit has since failed completely. It is apparent to me now, that the software update was insufficient to prevent the unit from failing. The nearest VW garage to me are not willing to help either. They quoted £2020 for the repair! The other VW garage, in the county I live, is the same company, so I do not have any choice to go elsewhere. I have spoken to VW Customer Service who advised I get a diagnosis at a VW Garage, despite already having an AA approved garage as well as an Auto Electricians diagnosis of unit failure. Felt I was duped into spending a further £90, at VW, as they were very dismissive of my situation.

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Carol0260 View Post
    Hi Pete,

I have the the exact same problem with my VW Golf. My dealership is not willing to help. Should I go straight to VW, or could you let me know the dealership that dealt with your problem?

How long after the recall did the ABS light come on? Again mine only had the software updated and not a new unit.

Your advice would be really appreciated!

Carol

0 1 0

7. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi.

we had similar problem last November/December..with fault 16352 appearing on an independent VAG-COM tester, and experiencing similar response at VW Customer Service in respects of the safety recall 45F2.

The VW Exec department is more helpful and i got VW to cover cost of their own diagnostic test but the overall outcome the same...We needed to replace the unit and no goodwill on the cost of the part. we eventually got the ABScontrol unit replaced in February..costIng £1157. this included a reduced labour rate, but still an expensive fix . Add to this, we had a 7 week delay for the replacement ABS control unit to arrive in UK . - demand exceeding supply??

Dave

0 1 0

8. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for the info, I am currently in discussion with VW Customer Service. Will let you know the outcome. I'm hoping it is going to be positive. It is rather an expensive fit for a part that has issues and needed to be recalled.

Julia

0 0 0

9. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Julia,

sorry for for my delay in replying. My ABS was actually replaced last week. VW customer care were not particularly helpful, although they did meet half the cost. I paid £640.
    Their argument was my car was 11 years old, and it was a possibility it would have gone by that time anyway. I had no choice but to except their offer.
    My dealership were good at getting it done efficiently though.

How old old is your car?

Carol

0 0 0

10. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Carol

Apologies for the delay also.

Pleased to hear you had some goodwill given. I finally had mine replaced last week, after several conversations with VW Customer Service. I had to be persistent and chase them up if they didn't call as promised.

Julia

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast