Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Julia

Glad you got your car fixed as well.

Out of curiosity, did VW customer services offer you any goodwill?

I opted last month to send details of my experience via an ADR process (Motor Ombudsman) and just waiting to hear back if they'll open a case.

Thanks. Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Dave

Initially, as the dealership were not willing to offer any Goodwill, I was told by VW C S they could not help. I therefore got in touch with CAB, to see if my thoughts were correct, that as it was a recall it had to be put right.

Once I had a response from CAB, which appeared in my favour. I got in touch again with VW CS and persuaded the matter.

Cutting a long story short! Ultimately, the unit was replaced FOC.

Good luck

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    Hi Julia

Glad you got your car fixed as well.

Out of curiosity, did VW customer services offer you any goodwill?

I opted last month to send details of my experience via an ADR process (Motor Ombudsman) and just waiting to hear back if they'll open a case.

Thanks. Dave

0 0 0

3. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My car has just thrown error 16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error

Doing my own research and following the links posted on this thread, it does seem to be the case that the recall ~2 years ago was for this same problem. The American recall even lists this particular fault.

I work in the automotive industry and I think I know what has happened. Reading the recall details (from direct gov or the nhtsa link posted earlier, imo the American recall has more information), the solder on the ground pin in the control module was not soldered correctly or has deteriorated with time. It's taken ~9 years for this fault to appear, and can cause the loss of breaks or traction, the most dangerous scenario being the loss of assistance in braking or traction whilst in a manoeuvre, hence the safety recall.

Here is the sneaky bit though, some units were only software flashed! How can you solve a hardware problem with a software solution? They've changed the software to look at a lower voltage threshold on the ground pin most likely making the safety case that the unit in the lower voltage threshold is able to provide the correct assistance. This does not fix the problem though. Over time, the connection will further deteriorate and manifest again in a few years.

In other words, the safety recall work has not been performed, merely delayed! I think VW hoped most cars would be off the road by the time this problem manifests again.

This is related to the ground pin, generic termed faults like these are most of the time related to issues such as these.

I’ve booked mines with the dealer, they provide a 2 year warranty with their work, they’ve said they will fix it for free if it is the same fault even though I am a week outside the warranty period. I did explain to them that this falls under the recall…

I’m hoping they don’t mess me around, I have to take it to the dealership where the original work was done which is ~50 miles away!

If they refuse to do the work, I am going to write to VOSA. This is quite serious, they have not performed the safety recall work correctly.

The dealership are charing me for diagnostics though and they claim they need the car for the full day? Did anyone have a similar experience?
    Last edited by golf_bluemotion; 22-09-2019 at 10:50 PM.

0 1 0

4. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi there.
    This is a most informative post.
    Its interesting to learn of yet another case.
    I have kept my faulty abs control unit (after the replacement was fitted) in the event it needs to be tested to make a successful claim...
    We are still waiting patiently on the Motor Ombudsnan
    Might be quicker to make a legal claim .. if you get definitive evidence.
    Please keep us posted.
    Dave

0 0 0

5. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi DavetC,

Looks like the dealer played me around! After promising the customer service team that they would repair free of charge, when I arrived they told me they would not offer any good will. Further to this, they want £120 p/h for diagnostics which they said will take all day! Pure thievery! Diagnostics take at most ~10mins

I was hoping once I had VW approved diagnostics performed, I could use it to show how this fault is under the remit of the recall but i don't want gamble away the best part of grand...

I'm going to take the case to VOSA (if they are stil in charge). You can file a incident here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-a...nd-accessories

Hopefully if enough people raise it, there will be a recall and anyone who has payed can be re-imbursed retrospectively.

With you going through the ombudsman and me going through the agencies which govern automotive safety, hopefully we will have this resolved.

You can pick up a second hand pump for ~£50, granted there is a possibly of it dieing on you too but it is not about the money here, VW have completed bodged this recall and it may result in injury or death!

0 1 0

6. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I had the same problem but due to my local dealer being rude on a previous G201 brake pressure sensor failure (was even on BBC Watchdog but they said their goodwill period had run out - they didnt want to know and treated me with total contempt) I never bothered this time around. I bought the updated pump VW released 1K0907379AN off Ebay for £200, out of breakers and fitted it myself. A decent garage will fit it and code it too.
    Last edited by Jon44w; 03-10-2019 at 09:43 PM.

0 1 0

7. Question Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, am I new in the forum, just reach the thread googling and register. I have the almost same problem and vagcom error messages:

Code:
    VIN: VSSCE61P79R014207   Mileage: 210880km/131034miles
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----)       Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
       Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AN    HW: 1K0 907 379 AN
       Component: ESP MK60EC1   H45 0107  
       Revision: 00H45001    
       Coding: 143B6012092300FE280D06E4902000413400
       Shop #: WSC 01017 985 109095
       VCID: 7EF9E6B8E909B4EEE6F-802B

2 Faults Found:
    01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) 
                014 - Defective - Intermittent
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 00101110
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 1
                        Reset counter: 126
                        Mileage: 210885 km
                        Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                        Count: 7
                        Count: 0
                        Count: 4608
                        Count: 104
                        Count: 49174
                        Count: 65280

01130 - ABS Operation 
                008 - Implausible Signal
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 01101000
                        Fault Priority: 1

Freeze Frame:
                        Count: 2
                        Count: 12800
                        Count: 124
                        Count: 41984
    My car is a Seat Leon FR 2009 (spain version)

I asked for support at SEAT International and they send me to look for a local official representative in my country, I did so but I am on a 30 day queue to be called for software update and/or hardware replacement (what is calle recall)

I remember about 4 years ago, I had a similar problem with ABS where also light up airbag warning light... official service had a hard time searching for the problem and finally told "you have to change the ABS electronic module" it cost several bucks, change it and problem solved til now that appeared again (without airbag light now)

I have the old module with me, that it is supposed to be the bad one the took from my car... so if this is the same problem with the "ground" connector... there might be a way to repair the old one or at least look for the problem inside it, but have no diagrams to check the board.

I hope the dealer software update wont pospone the problem (as was suggested here) but everything matches... they told: 1- software update solution 2- hardware replace if not. So if software solution changes the "bad ground limit", I will have a future problem also.

Here I post the old module (that I think has the same problem like the new bad one, that now I know its in a recall waiting...)
    (I am thinking... I should not have paid the old one... as I should not pay the new one if it is a factory/manufacturer failure?)

IMG_20191003_232223.jpg

0 0 0

8. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sebadamus View Post
    Hi, am I new in the forum, just reach the thread googling and register. I have the almost same problem and vagcom error messages:

Code:
    VIN: VSSCE61P79R014207   Mileage: 210880km/131034miles
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----)       Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
       Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AN    HW: 1K0 907 379 AN
       Component: ESP MK60EC1   H45 0107  
       Revision: 00H45001    
       Coding: 143B6012092300FE280D06E4902000413400
       Shop #: WSC 01017 985 109095
       VCID: 7EF9E6B8E909B4EEE6F-802B

2 Faults Found:
    01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) 
                014 - Defective - Intermittent
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 00101110
                        Fault Priority: 2

Freeze Frame:
                        Count: 7
                        Count: 4608
                        Count: 104
                        Count: 49174
                        Count: 65280

01130 - ABS Operation 
                008 - Implausible Signal
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 01101000
                        Fault Priority: 1

Freeze Frame:
                        Count: 12800
                        Count: 124
                        Count: 41984
    My car is a Seat Leon FR 2009 (spain version)

I asked for support at SEAT International and they send me to look for a local official representative in my country, I did so but I am on a 30 day queue to be called for software update and/or hardware replacement (what is calle recall)

I remember about 4 years ago, I had a similar problem with ABS where also light up airbag warning light... official service had a hard time searching for the problem and finally told "you have to change the ABS electronic module" it cost several bucks, change it and problem solved til now that appeared again (without airbag light now)

I have the old module with me, that it is supposed to be the bad one the took from my car... so if this is the same problem with the "ground" connector... there might be a way to repair the old one or at least look for the problem inside it, but have no diagrams to check the board.

I hope the dealer software update wont pospone the problem (as was suggested here) but everything matches... they told: 1- software update solution 2- hardware replace if not. So if software solution changes the "bad ground limit", I will have a future problem also.

Here I post the old module (that I think has the same problem like the new bad one, that now I know its in a recall waiting...)
    (I am thinking... I should not have paid the old one... as I should not pay the new one if it is a factory/manufacturer failure?)

IMG_20191003_232223.jpg
    Looking at your abs modules vcds read out, there is more than one fault, i don't think 01276 is covered under the recall. What was wrong with the original module before you swapped it out?

0 0 0

9. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Jon44w, how do you find which part number is the updated revision?

It would be good if the guys who had their modules replaced to post some part number so we have an idea of when this was fixed.

0 0 0

10. Re: ABS Control Unit recall - problem 1 year on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, it's all related to the OPs initial post.

I've spoken to DVSA who are still investigating. I think the the central discussion will be based on why the original recall was done and if ABS constitutes as an intended function of the car in which the car cannot operate without. The original recall was done because there was no prior warning before failure, the software update was simply to alert to an impending failure!

In other words, VW did not fix the problem and worked around DVSA and NHTSA guidelines, they simply put a kill switch on the abs module before it completely fails by simply raising the threshold in which the control unit is deemed to have a bad connection at the ground pin. By alerting the user with a dash light, that apparently satisfies DVSA’s guidelines?! (more on this below). At least in America, there is a lifelong warranty with the failure according to a forbes article and again this shows how VW treat the UK customer base and this is why NHTSA accepted VW’s response to the recall.

The DVSA is an organisation that is cantered on safety, they have sanctioned the manufacturer to bodge the recall and return defective units knowing they were going to fail which is frankly appalling and outrageous and undermines the whole concept of safety recalls, the DVSA’ policy of ‘this won’t kill therefore it is okay’ needs reviewing. There are further issues such as purposeful decrease on the lifespan of the ABS unit (they have to detect the failure early). Imagine if a steering rack was about to fail and the manufacturers response is to update the software to provide a dash light?! Or as a fix for the airbag not working, a software update simply lights up the dashboard!? A safety recall should return the unit to safe operating parameters, not left in a partial working state that is still dangerous. The whole system seems to just provide legal cover for the manufacturer.

I’m considering requesting a freedom of information request to see how many abs units VW have replaced as part of the original recall and as a goodwill gesture, the second hints to their acknowledgement of the problem although would be hard to prove legally.

It is worrying how this may become a precedent, with cars becoming connected , at any time once the manufacturer is aware of impending or common failures, they can simply just light up the dash and disable certain features, this would mean they would not have any safety recall work to perform and have satisfied the DVSA guidelines!

VW simply have responded to me and have said that software fixes only carry a ~6 months warranty and I am outside the warranty period and have consistently insisted that any problem would of shown up immediately. This is blatantly not true. They are really just dishonest sales men it seems, every conversation I have seems to just blame another party or say something completely different!

The best solution is to make a complain to DVSA and maybe get in touch with the papers. As for our cars, ECU testing fix repair the unit for circa ~250 including VAT. Or find the updated part from the brakers.

Last edited by golf_bluemotion; 18-10-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Corrected and added some lines

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast