1. 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all, just acquired an A6 - my first Audi (or any VAG group car for that matter).

I've had my usual guy give it a service and he had another old Audi outside and said he'd previously had one himself (not necessarily the same age). However he's written 5W40 oil on the invoice but not mentioned PD specific which I (now) see is important.

Will that be ok for a year? I do about 7k miles a year if that.

I'm considering taking it back to him for the cambelt. He's very convenient and generally well thought of round here. I've used him for a number of things on my old Mondeo and always been happy.

I'll ask him specifically what oil he used - perhaps it was the correct one - but if it's just standard stuff then it would be good to know how much of an issue that is before I get the answer. I gave him the service log which has details of the correct oil.

It's a high miler (195k) but engine is very good. It seems mostly motorway miles and Audi services for most of its life. I'm hoping to keep it for several years - probably the rest of its days.

I'll be looking to change the gearbox and clutch/dmf in a year or so if all else is still well then. It was very cheap but the gearbox is quite knackered.

Needs a boot load cover in tan if anyone has one.

Also the lower front bumper is damaged so may be looking to repair or replace that (dark blue) and whack on new grills.

I may chip away at these kind of things of it looks like it could last me several years. I really like the car.

Any comments very welcome!

Thanks, Joe

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Hopefully it is 5W40 505.01 , it is crucial as there are narrow camlobes that are subjected to high loadings .

An even better PD oil is 5W30 507.00 .

Always with when new to you alot to check or replace , cambelt and waterpump .

Consider gearbox oil change also .

What's the issue ?

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info - gives me some knowledge when I talk to him.

Gearbox is beyond oil I think. Its actually perfectly fine - smooth in fact - into and out of 3rd to 5th. But 1st, 2nd and reverse are bad.

2nd is worst. If revs are very low - ie wait until almost idling once the car is moving in first - then it can go in with no grinding. But otherwise its major grinding that you can feel through the stick. No chance of changing down from third without it - if unavoidable it seems best just to push it in quickly to minimise the time it takes.

I've got used to it and as i say once out of 2nd its fine.

My mechanic says basically the damage is already done but if I can put up with it then it should be fine for a good while.

Will def get cambelt and pump done, its just a question of where. Would prefer local guy if not clearly a mistake.
    Last edited by JaypeeA6; 05-12-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: More to add

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I'd agree with gazwould on engine oil. They have no trouble going high mileage with correct lubricant but the spec is very important. If he's decent to work with it's worth checking and changing oil if wrong.
    A friend has an A4 130 @ 245,000 miles, sweet as anything currently.

Gearbox, sounds like the synchro/bulk rings which match cog speed as you try to push the lever through into gear, so in effect operational rather than loading of the gearbox bearings once in gear. If someone has put in a friction modified oil or additive it can do this. They operate on reasonable friction to make the synchro rings work correctly, but if wrong type it can give a crap change.
    Worth drain and refill with correct spec to assess it.

Other possibility is clutch release,, does clutch bite very close to the floor as you are bringing peddle up?

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    If and when you get the cambelt done, it would be worth fitting a new tensioner stud as these can snap, especially since yours will likely have seen a few belt changes / tensionings in its lifetime. Belt changes are straightforward on the 1.9 with locking tools, I've done a handful on the driveway at home, so a good indy garage should be able to manage, be worth asking him if he's familiar with the job first though.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Best include the alternator clutch pulley .

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    That alt clutch does make a noise when inoperative doesn't it.

I had one fail at 125k on a Touran, the pully fell off completely and bounced around ending up wedged behind radiator hose! Belt was still turning the alt spindle so just about keeping ignition light extinguished.

Checked two others friends cars (we kinda look after them together) both golf at 138k and A4 at 187k miles were siezed and needed replacement.

If you take the little plastic cover off the centre of the pulley to inspect, any rusty coloured dust in there shows it's not long for this world, and should be scheduled in for change.

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    The belt flapping around is another sign the clutch has seized

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.9tdi pd 130 2004. New owner questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. The clutch bite is slightly high if anything so not that. I was watching an explanation online of the basic functioning of a gearbox and I came to the same tentative conclusion about synchro/ bulk rings so good to have that confirmed.

Other points - good to know. I might just print out this thread for the mechanic and see what he says!

0 0 0