Notices

User Tag List

Thread: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Question DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

Short Story

Car is 2014 2.0 Diesel Ultra C7 Avant bought 3 weeks ago. The DPF light keeps coming on and despite several regens, DPF sensor replacement, EGR valve/cooler replacement, the DPF light has come on again and not clearing after a long motorway run at high rpm.
    As I bought this car only 3 weeks ago and despite the garage spending quite a bit of time and money trying to get this resolved by replacing the EGR Cooler/Valve, should I just return this car back as this one despite all the fixes just seems to be cursed? Invite your opinions please on what you would do.

Long Story
    To give this a little more meat I have tried to put together some background information related to this issue in a kind of timeline.
    I bought the car about 3 weeks ago – beautiful car with lots of extras. Car had a full service history at an independent garage and seems to be very well looked after. From the historical paperwork it shows that in Nov 2017 the DPF light and engine management light had come on, regen was done, faults were cleared and seemed to have cleared the problem. In April ’18 the DPF light came on again and this time the DPF pressure sensor was replaced and faults cleared. In August 2018 MOT notes show that the DPF light was an advisory item.
    I was told during the sale that all the previous DPF issues had been resolved. Now, fast forward to about 3 weeks ago when the car came into my hands…

20th October – Bought Car. 2014 A6 Avant 2.0 diesel Ultra, 65k, 1 owner with FSH and lots of paperwork. Lovely car with lots of options fitted no warning lights on dash.
    22nd October – DPF light comes one – cleared with a 30 min run on motorways at 2k rpm as per manual.
    24th October – Start noticing strange noise from wheels which is later identified as a wheel Hub/bearing play.
    25th - DPF light comes on followed by coil/engine management and message about auto stop start being disabled. Next day car goes into limp mode.
    27th October – I return car to dealer, they are very apologetic about it and say that they will get it resolved.
    28th-7th October – Garage investigated it and did the following work (at their cost of £1500): Replaced wheel hub and bearing. Forced regen did not resolve the DPF issue. Identified that the EGR cooler was blocked thus not allowing a DPF to regenerate. Replaced whole EGR valve and cooler. Regen done again and DPF mass readings reported to be very low.
    Tracking also done as to replace the EGR unit it’s a big job since it must be accessed from below and behind the engine taking off various other parts (this is what I was told as I have no clue on this!)
    8th October – Collected car and all the warning lights are gone and the no noise from the wheel bearing so all ok I thought……...
    10th Nov – DPF light came on again – took it for a 30 min run on motorway at 2k but DPF light has not gone away - I dont know what else to do
    So the question that I asked at the beginning is should I just return this car back as lovely as it is, it just seems to be cursed? what would you do in my shoes?

Sorry about the long post!

0 0 0

2. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I think you take it back and been the reasonable person you are suggest that under law you can ask for a full refund but as you do like the car give them an opportunity to give it one last go at resolving. The garage, to be fair having spent £1500 on it already may just want to put it to auction and cut their losses.

Any used car is a risk - if they do fix this, surely it could be better than another unknown quantity that you replace it with?

0 0 0

3. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    If its had the fix, then get it rolled back to the original software the so called fix puts a strain on the dpf and creates more regens than enough, can also cause over dieseling and bore wash. There's a Facebook page that has a lot of information about tuners who'll help, about £100 plus VAT and my car worked as it used too, before it was back to VW several times, I'm surprised the dealer hasn't heard about the TBM measures he may have got Audi to fix it for free.
    A lot of folk walked away from their cars after the so called fix.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would "LOVE" to have this car fixed but I have been told twice that this particular issue was fixed once before sale and now after the sale once they had spent some money doing something so I do not know what else they can economically do. The refund option seems more and more likely and I would have to do that pretty quick to get in the 30 day window.
    Bill also suggested a software rollback to prevent these frequent regens - i dont know enough about that yet and will look into the FB group and see what that involves and success rate etc.
    The other option is to bite the bullet and take a lease on a 1 year old that still has the Audi warranty for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo1971 View Post
    I think you take it back and been the reasonable person you are suggest that under law you can ask for a full refund but as you do like the car give them an opportunity to give it one last go at resolving. The garage, to be fair having spent £1500 on it already may just want to put it to auction and cut their losses.

Any used car is a risk - if they do fix this, surely it could be better than another unknown quantity that you replace it with?

0 0 0

5. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks - this software fix sounds like a good idea and perhaps is the emissions "fix" perhaps the source of all this palava. I need to check first though if and when this fix was done. Will do on Monday.

Incidently what year was your Audi?

Quote Originally Posted by bill.wj.wilson View Post
    If its had the fix, then get it rolled back to the original software the so called fix puts a strain on the dpf and creates more regens than enough, can also cause over dieseling and bore wash. There's a Facebook page that has a lot of information about tuners who'll help, about £100 plus VAT and my car worked as it used too, before it was back to VW several times, I'm surprised the dealer hasn't heard about the TBM measures he may have got Audi to fix it for free.
    A lot of folk walked away from their cars after the so called fix.

0 0 0

6. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Mines a Tiguan but all the group have this issue, Audi, Seat, VW, Skoda, as long as its an EA 189 engine but as I wrote the group have a lot of information, otherwise its just a bad news car and return seems the best option.

0 0 0

7. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quick update - I took it again for a another 30min drive in 5th gear at above 2k RPM and DPF light has cleared!! The only difference between yesterday and today was that yesterdays regen i tried to do at 70 mph and at just over 2k RPM. Today RPM still just over 2k but speed much lower around 50-60 mph.

I need to keep a very close eye on this as last time I had a false sense of security and the DPF, COil, Engine light came back in quick succession followed by car going into limp mode.

I also checked the Audi website and using my Reg and VIN the site confirmed that my car was not affected by EA 189 TBM. Its a EU6 and therefore not part of the recall and software update. I will double check with Audi directly and see if something was done by mistake somehow??

0 0 0

8. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    It needs the DPF removing, cleaning (professionally, not some ****** with a hose pipe) and then refitting and a full forced regeneration carrying out. Early EU6 non Add Blue cars are just as prone to DPF clogging issues just as with the EU5 versions.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It seems like this is something that will need to be done and I guess the driving style, X number of regens, richer fuel mix may have all contributed to needing to have this done at 65K? I have read that the DPF gets clogged with soot and ash. The soot should be burnt away during a normal regen but the Ash stays? will the forced cleaning be able to remove this ash as well and is there any where that you might reccomend in London/Essex area?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It needs the DPF removing, cleaning (professionally, not some ****** with a hose pipe) and then refitting and a full forced regeneration carrying out. Early EU6 non Add Blue cars are just as prone to DPF clogging issues just as with the EU5 versions.

0 0 0

10. Re: DPF issue even after EGR Valve/Cooler replacement - Return Car or Further Fix? please help!! 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    The only was I could see of removing it is driving the car flat out in a low gear to pump massive volumes of air through the DPF and "blow" the ash out?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast