1. Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stone hit my windscreen this week and left me with a 4 inch crack in the driver's side lower corner.

Telephoned the number for glass repairs on my insurance documentation and the call went straight through to a company called Auto Windscreens. Made arrangements with them to have a replacement windscreen fitted and requested that it should be an Audi OEM screen which they agreed to.

Later in the day I had a call from them to say that my insurance company (Saga) would not pay for OEM only aftermarket. Somewhat annoyed I phoned my insurance company and after much discussion they are adamant that they will only pay for aftermarket.

I contacted my local Audi dealer and they want £600 to supply and fit an OEM screen.

Just wondering what experience anyone has had with a) aftermarket windscreens and b) the company "Auto Windscreens".

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    You should be asking them about recalibration of the sensors that attach to the windscreen behind the mirror, seen on here that a lot of people have had issues after new screens being fitted, most have instructed the insurance companies to have screens fitted at Audi dealerships because of the problems others have experienced.
    Not sure the insurance company can refuse to fit genuine parts, didn't know they where allowed to do that.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

3. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi There is a thread on here relating to windscreen replacement and the calibrations that are required. A search should find it, about 6-9 months ago. I am with Saga also just looked at paperwork and all it states is the excess and an additional excess for, non approved repairer, for replacement just an excess nothing about approved or non approved. As long as the people doing the work get ALL calibration done there should be no problem.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

4. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I’ve had a number of windscreen replacements in my C7 (long story). The first aftermarket screen mirror boss snapped off after I had to get the fitters back out to sort out the rain sensor that had been incorrectly reinstalled. After that they said that they would only replace with an Audi screen, despite being previously been told that the only difference between Audi and non-genuine was the Audi rings. Apparently there was a batch of screens with badly attached mirror boss fitments which were prone to snapping off.
    I had the chance to inspect an Audi and non-oem screen side by side, and they did appear to me to be identical except for the Audi stamp in the corner.

In the future I wouldn’t be worried about having an aftermarket screen as long as the mirror boss is secure prior to installation.

I am now, however, more worried about making sure the fitters don’t rip the headlining, snap off the VIN plate and glue it badly back in place, scratch the windscreen frame, and bend the rain sensor bracket (again).

0 0 0

5. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    I’ve had a number of windscreen replacements in my C7 (long story). The first aftermarket screen mirror boss snapped off after I had to get the fitters back out to sort out the rain sensor that had been incorrectly reinstalled. After that they said that they would only replace with an Audi screen, despite being previously been told that the only difference between Audi and non-genuine was the Audi rings. Apparently there was a batch of screens with badly attached mirror boss fitments which were prone to snapping off.
    I had the chance to inspect an Audi and non-oem screen side by side, and they did appear to me to be identical except for the Audi stamp in the corner.

In the future I wouldn’t be worried about having an aftermarket screen as long as the mirror boss is secure prior to installation.

I am now, however, more worried about making sure the fitters don’t rip the headlining, snap off the VIN plate and glue it badly back in place, scratch the windscreen frame, and bend the rain sensor bracket (again).

Its your story I remember reading about, pleased you got it all sorted in the end.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

6. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Do Audi OEM windscreens have additional coating, like a thermal coating?
    Got my replaced in march, but didnt see any difference until I went to buy polarized sunglasses few months later. Employee there told me that there might be glare or something in the newer cars.
    Didnt notice a thing at first, but then looked back and whole back windows was covered in some coating that made it "shine", like a small rainbow spots, then I understood what she was talking about.
    But nothing like it on the windscreen, so was it with additional coating but after replacing I got a windscreen without it or there isnt one to begin with?

0 0 0

7. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I believe that the spots and patterns visible on windscreens when wearing polarised glasses are due to stress patterns in the glass and laminate layers, which polarise the light passing through them.
    The patterns should change if you rotate the glasses whilst you look through them, or lean your head from side to side.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

8. Re: Aftermarket Windscreens 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I had my windscreen replaced with an aftermarket from Autoglass. It's a Pilkington glass windscreen and according to Autoglass it's exactly the same glass as Audi OEM, except without the Audi logo. Whether that is a load of after-sales bull who-knows, but it does the job as far as I am concerned.
    Audi A6 Avant 2019 Black Edition, C8, 3.0TFSI S Tronic. Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Tow Bar, Tour pack.

0 0 0