Notices

User Tag List

Thread: CV Joint Damaged - Can I Still Drive While Awaiting Axle Assembly?

1. CV Joint Damaged - Can I Still Drive While Awaiting Axle Assembly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had to change my axle boot on an Audi A4 B8 2.0T Avant 2009. I used a hammer as I'd seen several people do online, but later read it should have been a brass or steel strike or something else hitting right on the internal ribs of the joint to release the circlip. The only thing I did was a) score the hell out of the joint b) create two small cracks in the piece that holds the ball bearings in place and c) nearly break my hand in the process. As a result, I took the entire drive shaft assembly out of the car, attached to a work table with a vise and beat the hell out of it some more, but I still couldn't get the CV joint to release from the circlip <sigh>.

After a thorough cleaning and further play and inspection, I decided to put the axle back on my car while I wait on my new one to arrive. I have to work this weekend, but as I drove it around the block after the repair the car had a high idle, was burning oil like crazy, there was an odd shuddering and what seemed like a limp or rolling error on the front right tire where I'd made the repair <sigh, sigh, sigh>. When I parked I looked and all seemed to be intact. I torqued everything to the specs in Bentley. I used plenty of grease. Didn't have any left over screws or parts, but it still feels unsafe.

I'd imagine the scoring is causing the shudder, not to mention the cracks in the ball bearing housing. Maybe it hangs and that's the limp? Anyway, I cannot change the axle today and I REALLY need to work so I'm wondering if I drive like a Granny and tender that side of the car will I endanger the wheel? the connection of the driveshaft at the transmission? brakes, rotors, ABS sensor, yada, yada, yada? I envision this great explosion with the front right of my car blowing off bc I tried to drive with a damaged CV joint.

Any help appreciated. New assembly here on Monday, but work this weekend is a must. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

0 0 0

2. Re: CV Joint Damaged - Can I Still Drive While Awaiting Axle Assembly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Do yourself and everyone else on the road a favour and get a bus or taxi to work !

0 0 0

3. Re: CV Joint Damaged - Can I Still Drive While Awaiting Axle Assembly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I work in my car...a traveling sales rep for food products and wine. Can’t really visit pubs, bars, restaurants with samples on the bus.

I drove her last night for several hours. City driving with lots of hills and potholes. She feels better now that the grease has warmed up and soaked thru, but I can still feel a problem.

Added a new PCV valve for the rough idle and hoping to see some results of that today. Two new front axles on the way. Wish me luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: CV Joint Damaged - Can I Still Drive While Awaiting Axle Assembly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I changed the front axles and will never attempt a boot change when the axle job was so easy. I had the 10mm triple square spline, so I just had to get a few extensions for my breaker bars and it took me less than 3 hours total! I fought with that one axle and CV joint all night long and drove it for a week kinda limping. Boooo! What a farse. I’da paid $200 not to have to deal with all that grease and the frustration and the location and the steel one time clamps. Screw that seriously!! I spent $150 on two new front axels with 6 new screws each side. If I added up the axel boot costs, with the two boots, clamps, bolts, grease, paper towels, brake cleaner, brake cleaner and more break cleaner and an EZ-boot I bought to go around the axle and magically seal together (which it did and it held until the new axles came) I was over $85 already. As long as axles stay cheap and are readily available that’s my answer. Cheers!

0 0 0