1. Pressure bleeding Polo 6R brakes. Leaking fluid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Servicing my brother in laws car for charity has hit a stumbling block. Its a 4.5 years old Polo 1.4 6R. Engine code

I was pressure bleeding the brakes using 18psi as the pressure. Before I gut started with the calipers, there was brake fluid pouring out from under the car. It was coming from a hole in the box section on the o/s.

The pressure cap on the reservoir was securely tight, so I am thinking that it must be leaking from the master cylinder and finding its way into the box section. I am confused at to what has happened. I have removed the plastic cover from beneath the o/s of the car so confident that it is coming from the box section. How it gets in their I don't know, or what has gone wrong.

It does not seem to leak after I have removed the pressure. Pedal appears ok.

I have retained the car and don't want to give it back until fixed.

Thanks in advance.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

2. Re: Pressure bleeding Polo 6R brakes. Leaking fluid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    if you feel around the underneath of the master cylinder is it wet with fluid? I think you might have leakage where the plastic reservoir is push fitted onto the cylinder top, the 18PSI is a bit high for my liking, I usually don't go over 10psi.
    you should try to flush the spilt fluid out of the box section once you've sussed whats going on.

0 0 0

3. Re: Pressure bleeding Polo 6R brakes. Leaking fluid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Ok, Thanks Rob, Stupid me! What I did not say that was that 20 minutes previously, I had pressurised the system and had a leak of brake fluid from the cap. I thought that leak was minor. It was only after I had properly sealed the cap, I had noticed a lot of fluid pouring from the bottom of the car. Hence panic set in as I thought I had burst a joint well away from the reservoir. Given that the fluid was poring out of the box section, I thought it must be going through the master cylinder, the booster and down a double skin panel.

After dropping my brother in law off home, It was raining outside and after getting the car up on my lift I noticed rain water leaving the same hole. I then looked at the area below the master cylinder and thought, Ahh, that's how the fluid got there.

I have now pressured the system at 18psi and all is ok.

Thank you once again.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 1 0