1. Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have a 2003 Polo 1.4 TDI AMF engine with 160k Miles on it.
    Starts and runs lovely and has been well serviced. Just lately it has started going into limp mode after what sounds like lots of high pressure air noise from the Turbo area around 2000rpm.
    Have looked at turbo actuator rod today which seems to operate under pressure rather than vacuum and under pressue will only move a fraction.
    I'm thinking stuck wastegate and am about to take the turbo off.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for any help.

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    After thinking about it, actuator cant act under pressure as its all vacuum operated. Next step to remove exhaust to look at wastegate as I think it is seized. Activated N75 this morning and that was clicking away but I cant physically move the actuator rod or linkage to wastegate.

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just in case anyone is following this thread, The actuator IS pressure actuated and at the moment will not move even with 30psi applied to it. I have managed to get it operating manually and am currently in the process of removing the engine and box as I need to do the cambelt and clutch(which is rattling badly). I will update when I have replaced the actuator and got it all back in again.

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The actuator is vacuum operated......
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The actuator is definitely pressure operated and is fed off the pressure side of the turbo. It starts moving at 30psi and the loading against the actuator is very high which was confirmed by two independent Turbo companies.
    I was really surprised to find this out as it seems ridiculous.
    Work is still continuing as not yet got to the seat of the problem. Just about to take the cat off and check for blockage as all other valves etc seem to be fine.

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I was unsure when I answered this last Sunday so I checked but I am limited as to what I can look up on an iPad so remind me tomorrow and I will look it up at work, the AMF is a bit of an odd one and I checked how it worked using the parts diagram which can be wrong but it shows the turbo as being vacuum controlled in the vacuum system, illustration 131-005 in the VAG parts system ETKA. Message me your REG number, it will help me be precise.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help. I am aware that you definitely know your stuff and you have helped me before. I pumped the actuator up with my Mighty Vac and it got to 30psi before the actuator started to move and then it was only a bit. I am just getting my old laptop fired up with ELSA on it to find the info.
    Reg is ND03 GLF.
    Thanks Crasher.

0 0 0

8. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had just closed ELSA when I saw this..... I remember the AMF being odd but we have not had one in for a while so memory fades, especially after fighting an S6V8T all day... I will try and get time tomorrow to post the ELSA pic but looking at the parts info and the layout for an AMF it calls the actuator a vacuum unit that cannot be replaced! I have run out of time now (got to go and buy the cat some food or he will bite my legs) so the picture below is the basic layout off of ELSA and I will did some more out tomorrow.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. I see it is labelled "Vacuum unit for charge pressure control valve". Very ambiguous wording!!
    I knew that they were unavailable which is a pity. Just need to check all avenues before replacing the turbo.

0 0 0

10. Re: Polo 2003 AMF engine overboosting and high pressure air sound 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had a few moments later and it showed the cars systems were controlled by a vacuum solenoid valve block which I am used to, I will look a bit further tomorrow after I have got through the three other jobs left over from today.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast