Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Im going travelling and will be leaving my Mk5 golf TDI in Cornwall outside for about a year.. it's a bit beaten and I'm still struggling to sort the clutch (air getting in when pedal is pumped but fluid not getting out even under pressure test &#128548 so I couldn't get enough if I sold it right now..

The car isn't worth a lot so I'm doing it on the cheap.. Basically I'm thinking of giving it a wash, wait until properly dry, then drive onto a large tarpaulin, wrap and tie the tarp so it is covering the bottom half of the car and then put a cover over it... Maybe even tape the cover down and also leave about 5 chemical moisture traps inside under the car.

Is this stupid? It's super salty where I live and I don't want to come back to a pile of rust.. I will also try to get someone to open it up to empty/change the moisture traps and run the engine/air it out every few months.

Will I just be trapping moisture inside and allowing it to condense on all metal surfaces?

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Storing car outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Best bet? A nice car cover. Otherwise as you say, you're creating a perfect storm of damp air with no chance of circulation.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

3. Re: Storing car outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And without air circulation the moisture traps are redundant? Even if I put like 10?

0 0 0

4. Re: Storing car outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hi,

+1 for a carcover.

Covering a car with anything that isn't "breathable" isn't a good idea. Moisture will get in and then hasn't got an easy way to get out again.

A good quality car cover will cost quite a bit BUT will protect the car.

These are good but not cheap: http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Car-covers-indoor-outdoor-protection.asp.

I'd be looking to get her completely off the floor as well, otherwise the tyres won't be too good by the time you get back.

Just starting her up doesn't do the engine any favours. She needs to run up to full operating temperature to drive off any water vapour and get the oil working around the whole engine.

As for the salt she'll need a really good soaking in something to prevent it getting into all the nooks & crannies. Waxoyl springs to mind, but she needs to be thoroughly cleaned otherwise you'll just be trapping the salt which, as above, isn't a good idea. Maybe something thinner like Duck Oil would be easier to work with? DEB Duck Oil SDO5L 5L Service Spray: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Good luck and enjoy your year away.

Andy.

0 0 0