Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Newbie on here so please be gentle .

I've just bought a 2008 1.9 TDi B6 estate with the RCD300 unit.

All my car music is on 32GB USB's - 320kbps MP3.

As far as I can find out the RCD300 does not support either USB input or 320kbps format.

So, my question is where to next?

I do not need Sat Nav as I have a Garmin unit nor do I need Bluetooth as this links into the Garmin

I do have a single DIN Pioneer DEH-5000UB unit which suits my needs but might there may be something else for not too many ££££'s? One of the numerous (Chinese) Double DIN units that are available for less than £100 with a suitable fitting kit? Or maybe a used RCD510??

Looking on the RadioWorld site I've found this kit which seems to fit the bill for the Pioneer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswage ... rk:22f:0

I'm not too concerned about the steering wheel controls but if there's a simple adapter that can be used that would be great (currently uses one which links into the 3.5mm AUX socket on the Pioneer).

I'm just a little concerned about the battery drain issue that I've read quite a bit about

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

0 0 0

2. Re: RCD 300 Upgrade/Change Passat B6 2008 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just noticed this although it's been over a month since you posted. I have a mk5 golf GT. It was originally fitted with an RCD300 radio. I wanted the CD 6 disc multichanger so I purchased the RCD500 from eBay. This radio is a perfect straight swap. I could not opt for the centre console cd multichanger option as it would not fit and changing console was not an economical option. No programming for the RCD500 but you do need the radio code obviously. I have had no problems with battery drain. I remember reading up about my change at the time as I was also looking at a radio with sat nav. The MFD was really the only option as I believe the later radio models such as RCD 310 and 510 would need a vag com recode. This also applied to the even newer RNS range. The MFD was too expensive even on eBay and it did not have the 6 disc CD changer option anyway. As for USB the RCD 500 does not have this but it does have an aux connection lead and plug just like the RCD300. This lead runs into the glovebox area. I have had an IPod connected and it works fine.

if you do decide to buy on eBay make sure you get the seller to put the radio into TRANPORT mode before they post. This has to be done with power to the radio. When I bought mine I got the seller to take a picture of the screen to prove he had done this. It arrived fine and when I fitted the radio it automatically took the radio out of transport mode. There is a button sequence that usually needs to carried out to do this but i didn't have to. Has proved to be a great upgrade for me. Bit old now compared to the new cars but it suits me and like you, I use a separate sat nav anyway.

0 0 0

3. Re: RCD 300 Upgrade/Change Passat B6 2008 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Great reply, Very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Off to search ebay.......