1. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the defrosted flap motor was a red herring as the motor concerned is just for the driver footwell whereas my issue is the whole right side, front and rear.

Mine is A7 2012. Do they have 2 heater cores or just the one?

0 0 0

2. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should've also added that the windscreen defrosted is also much cooler on the drivers side. Help! What do you think I should try next?

0 0 0

3. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Our cars have a single (long) one piece heater core and separate flaps for left and right. Any clogging up, air lock or restricted flow will have the effect of 1. making the heater slow to warm up and 2 make the drivers side far colder than the passenger side.

Personally I would try flushing it out first as this is a zero cost DIY job so there's nothing wasted if it doesn't work for you. The way i did this was

Remove the plastic cover between the engine compartment and the windscreen across the width of the engine bay. Its best to remove the rubber strip first then this can just be lifted clear. (This gives a good opportunity to get out any leaves & detritus if the cover hasn't been off recently).

Look into this space (often called the ventilation plenum) and you will see, on the passenger side, what looks like a black metal plate with a pair of rubber hoses and a wiring connector going to it. What you are looking at is a small electric pump in a metal clamp that forms a sort of box. Firmly pull this upwards, it is only a push fit into grommets in the plenum floor. I cant tell you b the best way of doing the next bit as its fiddly but not actually difficult but what you need to do is disconnect its hoses . I used a mole wrench to get the clips off but you could use a big pair of pliers (better still buy a hose clip tool as they are only a £5 on Ebay). Make sure you note which hose came from which side - it's best to mark one of the hoses and the spigot it came off with a bit of paint or nail varnish so its absolutely clear.
    Now use a garden hosepipe to flush the system through, first through one of the hoses and then the other. Wear a coat in case you get splashed. Allow the water to just flow out of the opposite hose. When the water looks clear give it another minute then flush it the other way. The old phrase 'Rinse and Repeat' should be applied.

Refit the hoses back onto the pump trying to keep as much of the water in them as possible (this reduces the risk of an air lock). You can either push the pump back into its place at this point or start the car first and test it, either way though make sure the electrical connection to the pump is reconnected if you disconnected it earlier to give yourself more room.

Turn the heater up to full both sides, start the car and leave it idling. If this procedure has worked you should be able to tell with the next few mins.

If it has worked but eventually it does go back to how it was then this indicates it has picked up some dirt from elsewhere in the cooling system. You can decide whether to just repeat the same again every couple of months or flush the rest of the cooling system to get every bit of dirt in there out of the system.

0 0 0

4. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thabks for the quick response, much appreciated. Does system need antifreeze ir some sort of coolant etc once it's been flushed? Or is it just water?

0 0 0

5. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is the vcds fault code, just in case it makes any sense:

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255)****** Labels:| 4G0-820-043-2Z.clb

** Part No SW: 4G0 820 043 H*** HW: 4G0 820 043 H

** Component: KLIMA 2 ZONEN H10 0064*

***Serial number: 14021200040649

** Coding: 3623000830

** Shop #: WSC 02391 785 00200

** ASAM Dataset: EV_AirCondiBasisUDS 002040

** ROD: EV_AirCondiBasisUDS_002.rod

** VCID: 2411105EAE53F677DAD-8070

1 Fault Found:

0027 - Motor for Defroster Flap

**********B1090 07 [008] - Mechanical Failure

********* Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

************ Freeze Frame:

******************* Fault Status: 00000001

******************* Fault Priority: 3

******************* Fault Frequency: 1

******************* Reset counter: 228

******************* Mileage: 93257 km

******************* Date: 2018.12.01

******************* Time: 20:59:19

******************* Voltage terminal 30: 14.51 V

******************* Outside air temperature: 10.5 °C

*** ****************Interior temperature: 26.72 °C

******************* Defroster flap motor-Act.val.: 11345

******************* Defroster flap motor-Specified value: 11254

******************* Defroster flap motor-Stop open: 11295

0 0 0

6. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    It would be best practice to top up the level of antifreeze in case we have a cold snap.

In my case I judged that as the flushing I did only affected the heater matrix and top of the engine it probably wouldnt have diluted the coolant in the radiator and the bottom of the engine to a large extent.

If in any doubt at all though I would suggest that you do top up the concentration of anti freeze. To do this you could release a bit of the coolant from the system by releasing one of the radiator hose clips and carefully letting a bit out which would create some space in the reservoir for you to top up with concentrated anti freeze. Always use the recommended type of anti freeze, (note I said type and not brand as prices can vary considerably by brand.)

Let me know how you get on.

0 0 0

7. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tbh, I might just get someone to do it for me. What should I expect to pay?

0 0 0

8. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi, for information only, my a6 c7 lost the heating on the entire right hand side (windscreen, mid vents, feet and rear). Vcds showed no fault codes.

When the engine was at 90 deg.c and the heating on max, the left vents where typically 60 deg.c each whereas the right only 25-30 deg.c.

Today I removed the heater matrix pump (behind left engine bulkhead) and flushed the heating matrix both directions. Little bits if sediment was flushed out the system. The heating on the right hand side has now been restored. I hope this proves helpful advice to other C7 owners.

0 0 0

9. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Today I removed the heater matrix pump (behind left engine bulkhead) and flushed the heating matrix both directions. Little bits if sediment was flushed out the system. The heating on the right hand side has now been restored. I hope this proves helpful advice to other C7 owners.
    Thats really helpful to know this was equally as successful for you. It really is quite odd the system is designed in such a way that it can clog up like this.

0 0 0

10. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Having thought mine was fixed I noticed it again as soon as the weather started to get colder this year. This time it coincided with a mysterious loss of coolant. It had always been slightly lossy but had got worse and it looks like the cause of this is a leak from the water pump.
    I suspect now the water pump may have been leaking very slightly for some time which may have allowed air to enter the heater matrix hence its ineffectiveness.

ll report back when the water pump has been fixed.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast