1. Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so i've had a passat b6 estate before and have had a failure in the park brake motors so am familiar in how it works, what fails, how to get the thing off if it dies etc.....

I've just bought a 2008 passat b6 estate again and the guy I bought it from took it in part ex for another car and put it up for sale as he has a new lease car for work.

The guy was told the previous owner had put new rear callipers on (and they do look new from a quick glance) and had the front anti-rollbars & wishbones etc done recently.

On test drive, the park brake & auto hold all worked fine, released as it should on pulling off. Cruise control worked fine (which it doesn't when there's a fault with the park brake) however I did kind of feel that one side releases before the other.
    I also noticed that there's a little knock from what I believe is the drivers side. It's not always present when going over a speed bump or mounting a kerb but you can hear it when going over little bumps like changing surface, manhole covers, where they've dug the road up and re-filled it. The stuff you barely feel in the car creates this knock whereas speedbumps do not.

So lets start with the Park brake...

Initially it releases when pulling off, auto hold works ok then after a few miles it pops up 'PARK BRAKE FAULT . CONSULT OWNERS MANUAL'
    Both brakes appear to be working and you can hear the motors. The car is held on a steep hill. Apart from not releasing evenly (feels like one releases before the other) there doesn't seem to be any physical problem.

I am looking for any other suggestions, but knowing the correct procedure for fitting new pads says you must use VAGCOM to tell the callipers to open fully (i'm guessing so they close evenly) the fault may be;

1. When the callipers were replaced, the callipers were manually wound back just enough to accommodate the new pads and fit over the disk.
    Hook up VAGCOM, electronically wind back rear callipers and then electronically wind back on. This will even up the travel for the pads and MAY cure the fault.

2. Is there a connection issue? It's an intermittent problem, maybe the connection is corroded?
    Inspect and clean if required.

3. Did they order the calliper & motor together? Was it new? (it looks clean through the wheel but may not be) Did they fit a failing part?

Any other known faults & solutions would be welcome. I haven't checked it on VAGCOM for faults as yet, I wanted to get this post up first.

The knock.....

So going on the blind belief that this work has been done and noticing the knock, I pointed it out to the seller and wondered what it was.
    I tried rocking the engine to try and hear if it's the mounts (seems solid) there's no rattle from the engine at idle or when you rev it. (so not big end or small end or engine related knock).
    I did manage to re-create the noise by bouncing the car at driverside wheel arch (pushed down on whole car repeatedly standing by the front wheel)

The suspension seemed to travel as it should (down, up just past it's original starting point and back to starting point. No continuous bounce) It sounded like it was close, not in the bottom of the engine bay.
    The seller said he thinks it's a top mount, priced one up on whatever parts site it was for £25.

Is it likely to be this? Is it an easy replacement?

Please no comments like take it to a garage and get it checked, yes that's the obvious thing to do but this is my 1 day off and it's meant to be travelling a 400 mile round trip on Friday.
    We might be able to squeeze it in during the week if my missus can get time but she uses the car for work so cannot be without a car so wanted to diagnose the knock before taking it to a garage and hopefully solve the park brake fault myself.

Thanks for any input

0 0 0

2. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE:

So checked for faults and found a boat load, seems that my fault lies with the Clutch position sensor which I believe is a non-replaceable part inside the Clutch Master Cylinder.
    Can someone confirm this?

Anyone know how long this would take to swap out in a garage?
    Part is £53 on ebay but not looked elsewhere as yet.

Took the car for a run, used the park brake several times, appeared to work normally and resetting the callipers has evened out the release as I expected.

Still need to try looking for the knock and have another test run to see if the park brake fault returns and re-do diagnostics.

Sunday,28,October,2018,14:22:31:07592
    VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows Vista x86
    VCDS Version: 18.9.0.2
    Data version: 20180927 DS296.0
    Ross-Tech: Home

VIN: WVWZZZ3CZ8E123847 License Plate:

Chassis Type: 3C (3C0)
    Scan: 01 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 25 42 44 46 52 53 56 62 72

VIN: WVWZZZ3CZ8E123847 Mileage: 238210km-148016miles

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
    08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
    09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
    15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
    16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
    19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
    25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
    42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
    44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
    46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
    52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
    53-Parking Brake -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
    62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
    72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-018-BKP.clb
    Part No SW: 03G 906 018 FG HW: 03G 906 018 FG
    Component: R4 2.0l PPD1.5 G 0907
    Revision: --H45--- Serial number: VWZCZ000000000
    Coding: 0000072
    Shop #: WSC 05311 000 08193
    VCID: 6FEDEFCF7E80A4323C-803A

1 Fault Found:
    000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation
    P0234 - 006 - Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition) - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 5
    Fault Frequency: 4
    Reset counter: 20
    Mileage: 237945 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2000.00.00
    Time: 14:09:04

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 3584 /min
    Torque: 200.0 Nm
    Speed: 58.0 km/h
    65.91 %
    Voltage: 14.35 V
    Pressure: 1810.5 mbar
    Pressure: 2300.4 mbar

Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 3C0-614-109-C4.clb
    Part No SW: 3C0 614 109 D HW: 3C0 614 109 D
    Component: J104 C4 440 V2 0003
    Revision: --020--- Serial number: 00000776487066
    Coding: 0001291
    Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
    VCID: 1F4DDF0FCEA074B2CC-804A

1 Fault Found:
    00473 - Control Module for Elect. Park/Hand Brake (J540)
    013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00101101
    Fault Priority: 6
    Fault Frequency: 129
    Reset counter: 69
    Mileage: 235180 km
    Date: 2000.00.00
    Time: 14:54:44

Freeze Frame:
    Speed: 34.0 km/h
    Hex Value: 0x00B1
    Voltage: 13.75 V
    Bin. Bits: 00011111
    Count: 101

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 3C0-953-549-SW20.lbl
    Part No SW: 3C0 953 549 AD HW: 3C0 953 549 AD
    Component: J0527 0020
    Revision: 00026000 Serial number: 3C9953507BA
    Coding: 0000014
    VCID: 6ED3F2CB798AAD3A37-803A

1 Fault Found:
    00888 - Wiper Switch for Intermittent Operation (E22)
    014 - Defective - Intermittent

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 5N0-907-801.clb
    Part No SW: 3C0 907 801 J HW: 3C0 907 801 J
    Component: J540 EPB3 VW-09393 0009
    Revision: 008 Serial number: 00000000235380
    Coding: 0000057
    VCID: 2959C1D780E48A02A2-807C

1 Fault Found:
    03182 - Clutch Position Sensor (G476)
    008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00101000
    Fault Priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 41
    Reset counter: 68
    Mileage: 237181 km

Freeze Frame:
    Voltage: 13.70 V
    Count: 38
    Speed: 76.0 km/h
    Hex Value: 0x1260
    Hex Value: 0x0004
    Hex Value: 0x0101

0 0 0

3. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    If it's a clunking sound, it will be the drivers side droplink. I can't help you with the clutch position sensor, it isn't a hard fix though. Just check online for the part, see how it is mounted by looking at the part you bought and swap it over. I don't know whether you need vcds to do adaption but I doubt it.

0 0 0

4. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had some random foreign guy stop and try helping, nice of him to look but language barrier was a nightmare.
    OK so had the wheel off, can't see anything obvious, drop link 'APPEARS' to be new, has new nuts and no corrosion on there.
    I got a pry bar out and tried moving a few things including the droplink but no noise.

Another thing I just thought MAY be relevant, There does seem to be a rubbing noise or bearing rub noise when turning full lock!
    I have checked the wheel for freeplay, but doesn't seem to be any.

0 0 0

5. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just come back from another run, Can't make the Park brake fault come back.
    No faults showing on VCDS.

Stopped in a car park and decided to shake the steering, got the same knocking noise from shaking it so think that's where my problem lies.

Going to follow up on the Clutch sensor problem and confirm it's in the master cylinder.

0 0 0

6. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gutted, new master cylinder fitted and now the light is constantly on, can't get rid of the fault at all now.

VCDS still says it's the clutch position sensor.

The subtle knock has turned out to be the steering rack, £400 + vat + 3 hours labour

0 0 0

7. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had the master cylinder replaced a while back now and still have an issue with the parking brake.
    I kind of assumed that it may be a wiring issue as the master cylinder & clutch position sensor have been replaced and I have not had any issues with staring the car since doing so (did play up occasionally)

I have since been advised that it might be a case of the new sensor needs programming.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or have a link to a page so I can do it myself??

0 0 0

8. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I don't think the G476 needs any programming, there's no reference to it anywhere on Google.

Before you can start the car the clutch needs operating, so would have thought this G476 sensor outputs to both the ECU & PB, so probably not a clutch sensor fault, but could be wrong.

If you look at his link which is for A4 wiring ( probably similar to the Passat ) https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-fault.233505/ half way down the post shows the wiring for the G476.
    One wire goes to the PB module pin T30a.

If you connect a DVM to T30a with the ignition on you should see a change of voltage when the clutch is depressed.
    If you see that, it points to the problem being in the PB module.
    If you don't see a voltage change try disconnecting the PB module, as a fault in there could be dragging the voltage down.

0 0 0

9. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply Phillip.

Whilst having issues with the Park brake, I was also having issues starting the car intermittently ( whilst clutch was down it said 'depress clutch to start')

Since changing master cylinder and therefore position sensor I have not had this issue whereas it was occurring at least once a day.

Before I changed the master cylinder I was able to clear the fault but since changing I can't.

Perhaps i'll try finding that connection and testing it but it does seem odd doesn't it?

0 0 0

10. Re: Park brake & other intermittent problems, advice wanted 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    So it does sound like your original master cylinder did have an intermittent fault.
    Did you make sure the new MC was the exact same part No.
    Was it new or from breakers.

It would be best if you could get the correct wiring diagram for the Passat in case it is different.

Also on the Audi diagram the wire from G476 pin 5 only goes to the parking controller.
    Two other wires pins 2 & 3 go to the ECU.
    So although they will probably all use a single switch in the master cylinder they could have isolated outputs to the PB & ECU.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast