I've recently purchased an '03 plate Audi A4 and upon checking the oil level I found that it was a little too high on the dipstick. Yesterday I had a 140 mile journey to undertake and when I had almost reached my destination, the low oil level warning came on. I stopped and let the oil level settle for a few minutes and upon inspection of the dipstick there was nothing on it !!!!!!!!
There wer no tell-tale oil leaks so I was a bit perplexed. I managed to purchase some oil and filled the engine with around 2 litres which brough the oil level up to the low mark on the dipstick - just enough to get me back home. The warning light didn't come back on so I couldn't make out why I didn't lose the 2 litres of oil if there was indeed an oil leak.

Having left the car overnight I checked the oil only to find it was again back up to the over-filled mark !

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this as I can't understand why the low oil level warning came on and the dipstick showing nothing when in fact there was more than enough oil in the engine ?