1. Battery drain 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi all, need a bit of help my battery as been going flat if car is left for a couple of days. It as a brand new battery and alternator I have he'd the multimeternal on it and that's reading a 0.38amp drain I went through all the fuses in the dash but they seem fine but when I got into the fuses in the engine bay by removing fuse 3, 47 and 48 I got it down to 0.12 amp or milliamp I am not very clued up on electrics but can any one give me a clue what I should be looking at next?
    Thanks for any help

0 0 0

2. Re: Battery drain 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    You say you think you are not clued up but your doing pretty well so far, I know plenty of trained spanner men who would not know a multimeter from a TV remote... I can’t look up those fuse references at home (those under the cover of the engine bay box are known as “SB”) but even that 0.12amp residual is too high, you need to see it be less than 0.05 ish. Now you must be doing this with the bonnet open but are you taking out the key, shutting all the doors, arming the alarm and flicking the bonnet catch over to simulate to the systems the bonnet is closed so the CAN BUS can shut the systems down? You don’t have silly illegal aftermarket HID headlights do you?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Battery drain 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    No hiss but I wasnt locking the car i was just rremoving each fuse then closing th door and waiting ffor the interior light to go out. I guess I need to start again

0 0 0

4. Re: Battery drain 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    The CAN BUS system on PQ35 platform cars (Golf 5, A3 8P etc) has to be allowed to shut everything down and so each time you wake it up, you have to wait for full shutdown which can take a number of minutes and does make the job of parasitic drain tracking rather tedious.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Battery drain 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have now locked the car and pulled every fuse an relay out of the engine bay and the end of the dash so there are no fuses in the car.then i waited a good hour and I have a drain of 0.13 milliamp

0 0 0