1. Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Finally got Traffic Sign recognition working, required the Kufatec dongle and 3 tweaks using VCDS.

I have to say though I am under whelmed by its operation.

I wanted it as I have managed to collect 6 points in 6 months, and regularly use the M6 with smart motorways and fluctuating speed limits. They are easy to miss especially if they change from gantry to gantry.

A useful feature would be for when the speed limit changes, a warning sounded if you were travelling in excess of that speed, or linking to the ACC to change speed, but a warning would be good enough for me. Would be simple for Audi to programme, all the hardware is there.

I think this may be in the new A4 and A5, and 2018 A6, but I am a good few years off changing as only 18 months into a 5 year ownership.
    Current Fleet
    2017 Audi A6 Avant BiTdi
    2008 BMW Z4M Roadster
    2003 Clio 172 Cup

0 0 0

2. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I’ve often wondered what triggers it. Is it the camera behind the rear view mirror or GPS via the sat nav? I’m guessing the camera because if notes temporary road works on motorways.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinos View Post
    Finally got Traffic Sign recognition working, required the Kufatec dongle and 3 tweaks using VCDS.

I have to say though I am under whelmed by its operation.

I wanted it as I have managed to collect 6 points in 6 months, and regularly use the M6 with smart motorways and fluctuating speed limits. They are easy to miss especially if they change from gantry to gantry.

A useful feature would be for when the speed limit changes, a warning sounded if you were travelling in excess of that speed, or linking to the ACC to change speed, but a warning would be good enough for me. Would be simple for Audi to programme, all the hardware is there.

I think this may be in the new A4 and A5, and 2018 A6, but I am a good few years off changing as only 18 months into a 5 year ownership.
    Good tip here! Might help you

This simple trick prevents the police from ever giving you a speeding ticket again.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

2 1 0

4. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinos View Post
    A useful feature would be for when the speed limit changes, a warning sounded if you were travelling in excess of that speed, or linking to the ACC to change speed
    Are you sure this system doesn't support this feature? I haven't got this feature, but IMHO it should act like this if you enable the tempomat - even without the ACC feature.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

5. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AT. View Post
    Are you sure this system doesn't support this feature? I haven't got this feature, but IMHO it should act like this if you enable the tempomat - even without the ACC feature.
    Hi have had a look at this, in law it is the responsibility of the driver to obey any and all road traffic signage, and to take any and all action, safely to conform with that signage. Things like this and ACC are there to assist the driver and not to replace them, it is down to the driver if they do not conform. Smart motorway's ( I don't like them but there you go ) overhead signs are easy to see from a distance, if they are illuminated, then you know before you get to them that something is going to change and it's down to you to take action and be prepared to conform to that information. Not preaching just pointing out fact, I can use the loud peddle as much as the rest, but better safe than dead. Found this from a google search, The system has a purely informative character. In addition the optional MMI has the possibility of providing a traffic sign based warning when exceeding the recognized speed limit. release-for-the-camera-based-traffic-sign-recognition-8w0054800b-10
    Just like the satnav system they are not in law allowed to warn of speed cameras, that's why you can't download a version of the Audi system that has them on it. Nothing stoping you purchasing a stand alone one with them on, just don't get caught in Europe with one that has them activated, you could be prosecuted !!! Saying that very little chance you would...
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0

6. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Thank you for the detailed explaantion, but honestly it's not about speeding but to avoid speeding. If I remember well the new VW Arteon's commercial suggest, that this feature is active there, so I was just surprised why it's not a feature in the A6? Well of course, I don't think that the car should accelerate if it will recognise that the speed limit area is over, but to slow down the car could be a very useful safety thing, mostly it's all the same as ACC does if you follow a car. As you might know, in this case the speed will be lowered and will rise until the previuosly set value.

IMHO op had right, it could be useful to automatically LOWER the ACC speed if there is a speed sign on the road.

I was just surprised, why is it good to see the tables with the camera, if it does nothing except to show you it on the DIS too.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

7. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Yes AT, it could be useful to adapt the speed in changing conditions, I think the best you could hope for would be an audio warning that you may be over the recommended speed, like the one you can set as a speed warning yourself. This may be a test bed for systems for a self driving car being tested in the real world, ACC, lane assist, self park etc , or a gimmick. Perhaps in time this sort of tech will be a basic part of cars in an attempt to improve safety, but in the end it will be down to the human behind the wheel to make the decision.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0

8. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    My car has both the speed limit recognition feature and ACC from the factory, and the two are definitely not linked to each other. I did drive a new Mercedes E class in the USA last year, and I was really surprised to find it does alter speed if the ACC is engaged and the car enters a new lower speed limit area. I wonder if the new A6 does this too?

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 1 0

9. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGF View Post
    My car has both the speed limit recognition feature and ACC from the factory, and the two are definitely not linked to each other. I did drive a new Mercedes E class in the USA last year, and I was really surprised to find it does alter speed if the ACC is engaged and the car enters a new lower speed limit area. I wonder if the new A6 does this too?

MF.
    That’s odd my MY16 Q7 has TSR and ACC and they definitely work together, sometimes it read a sign wrong (like for HGV only) and reduces the cruise automatically.

Q7 MY16 272PS S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

10. Re: Traffic Sign Recognition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    That’s odd my MY16 Q7 has TSR and ACC and they definitely work together, sometimes it read a sign wrong (like for HGV only) and reduces the cruise automatically.

Q7 MY16 272PS S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    The Q7 has more modern systems than the A6 C7 (which dates back to 2011). Even in the facelift versions there is no link...

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast