Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Why do you want to touch turbo ?
    lf turbo would give not enough boost, there would be fault code.
    You are just changing everything whats on car without proper diagnostics.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

2. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Battery was changed last year. Original one, a Bosch, lasted for 11 years....not bad.

I will take out the lift pump and have a look at it. It'c clogged up a few times recently due to oil getting into the tank from the tandum pump (which I've changed).

Regarding the turbo, there's so much oil in the intercooler and the hoses from the turbo. The turbo works fine and I hope it's not leaking into the air inlet but.......

If the turbo was leaking oil, would that show up on the diagnostics?

What I do know is that I'm using a lot of oil.

After putting everything back together, I did an oil and filter change, so I'll see what happens.

0 0 0

3. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Regarding the DPF, since this is a 2006 vehicle, and DPF's became mandatory a few years later, then if I take off the DPF then it shouldn't be an MOT failure because is was put on the car as a optional extra and not mandatory...?

0 0 0

4. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm an idiot.

Let me just qualify that statement.

Took off both the hoses going into the bottom of the intercooler, both were dry and apart from a little black deposit on the pipes, no sign of oil, certainly not enough to account for the huge loss of oil from the other night when I tried a forced regen on the motorway. Must have used up almost a litre of oil.

So I guess that rules out the turbo.....thanks Renars,. I had convinced myself it was the turbo.

Anyway, took out the lift pump and pumped the 25 litres of fuel in there into a container which clearly shows there is oil contamination.

Barrel on the left is my normal veg oil/diesel mix, barrel on the right from the fuel tank. (picture is upside down for some reason, so contaminated fuel is in the barrel with lower level.

WP_20181011_10_36_10_Pro.jpg

So, tandum pump, again. Won't buy second hand from ebay or scrappy again!!!!!!

Oh, the fuel tank itself was very clean, just an oily tidemark around the remaining fuel in the tank which I will now clean.

0 0 0

5. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Yes, tandem pump seal have failed you again.
    But Im quite sure you have DPF problem as you have driven with so much oil in fuel for so long, that thing just have to be clogged for no return.
    It, probably, wont regen since back pressure is so great (Can confirm with VCDS driving in 3rd or 4th gear and floor the throttle)
    Change or go back to EURO 3
    Current cars:

0 0 0

6. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have ordered some DPF cleaner off amazon, Wurst or some such thing.

Spray it into the DPF through the pressure or temp sensor hole, leave it a bit, go for a drive with forced regen, then hopefully job done.
    Won't do that until TP been replaced.

A great car, would love to remove DPF but not sure if it would fail MOT

0 0 0

7. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    If its not doing regen now, its not going to with cleaner.
    If you are going to drive like that for a lot it will kill turbo because of backpressure.
    Really need VCDS test to see state of DPF.
    Current cars:

0 0 0

8. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Do you have blue smoke on startup and when driving? If valve stem seals have expanded and hardened the car will burn a lot of oil especially during regeneration of the DPF as higher temperatures will cause further heat expansion. My engine was burning a lot of oil nearly 500ml per month (750 miles) and very smoky when regenerating. Put new valve stem seals in and no more blue smoke on startup and no more smoke when regenerating DPF. Very big difference - only 200ml of oil used per 6000 miles now - over 95% less oil consumption.

Just another item to consider - big job though and special tools needed. I have VW 4 valve per cylinder engine manual (official) which helps and access to the special camshaft bearing frame removal tools.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

9. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    FIXED

So, I ordered a new set of seals for the tandum pump.

Replaced them yesterday and you could tell when I opened up the pump that oil had been getting into the fuel side of the pump.

I then sprayed JLM Lubricant DPF cleaner into the temperature housing on the DPF and left it for a few minutes to do it's thing.

Took the car up the motorway, M18, and you could see the soot % go from 151% down to about 18% in the first 10 minutes.

After that it gradually went from 18% down to 14% ish before all the engine lights went out.

I have my car back!

What a nightmare.
    Going to get the DPF taken off. Since my car is 2006, there is no legal requirement to have one fitted so if I remove it, it will still pass it's MOT.

Since I use veg oil, then it's still better for the environment with fewer pollutants being produced.

We'll see.

Thanks for all your help everyone (Renars and Mad Mitch)

0 0 0

10. Re: Sherlock Holmes? DPF and EGR 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Definately get rid .

Egr off, Stage 1 and it will drive superb with better mpg .

Done this to my father's car and there wasn't even anything wrong , now 6 mpg better .

The dpf mot part is not true , it's a visual and a vin plate manufacturers smoke coefficient value .

Dpf's are rarely visible because of covers and the surgery is performed on the blind side .

As for the smoke test there is ways around it... and if the map is right , thermostat etc it will blow below that figure anyway.

My Euro 3 2003 1.9 tdi remapped to 180 bhp records 0.34 and that's with no cat ( egr disabled ) despite having an incredibly low and unfair 0.60 VIN , default is 3.00 as is your 2006 .

Some testers don't bother just ticking a box for plate value not found and revert to the default .

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast