Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair.

1. Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    RE: Audi a6 2.7 Tdi BPP 4 Pin Throttle body

Hi,

My throttle body is knackered fault code p1545, on inspection the butterfly valve is moving smooth but I cant hear it moving the motor via the cogs. I know that the cogs on these are made of cardboard and wear down to mush. I have removed the throttle body and attempted to take the cover off to inspect the cogs, the cover seems stuck and i dont want to force it open as im bound to damage something. I could open it a few mm nd see that the cogs were worn to nothing.

Anyone have a video of a guide/advice on how to remove the cover?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So after much searching and nothing to be found on the Interwebs, I decided to endeavour this myself.
    I must say for anyone wishing to try this in future you must be prepared for things to break.
    Anyhow once all screws removed you can see the cover is held on by nothing other than 2 male metal prongs which attach onto the female base. They were stuck on mine so I had to gently and evenly apply pressure near the 4 pin connector till it popped loose.
    As you can see my cogs were in a terrible state, I used a small flat blade screwdriver and hammer to get the half cog off, would be far easier with small pliers. Fitted everything back together and voila! No more engine management codes.
    This hasn’t fixed the turbo issue, but had revealed another issue my car is smoking from the nearside bank of the engine. Shut down is noticeably much more sharp, no shaking.
    Hope this helps anyone wishing to attempt the same.E2739F34-72CE-4645-B3BF-2BE165D54E0F.jpg7F413392-B675-49E2-A2E7-230AD23C824B.jpg17C9A8DF-C3FE-4097-99BF-C14354873667.jpg7D28EE53-AE52-400E-85DA-37FA33DED489.jpg

0 1 0

3. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks for your helpful thread showing the disassembled throttle body gears, but how did you fix it? Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to day you took it apart the put it back together and it was fixed, but why was it fixed? Did you change the gears for new ones and if so how did you obtain new gears?
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

4. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi

I bought the new red cigs off eBay for 30£. Swapping them after removing the cover is trivial. Undo the two small screws holding the motor and female sockets I showed on the picture above . And pull off. You can then replace the large cog. But the half cog is basically moulded onto the metal assembly. I used a flat head screwdriver like a chisel and a hammer to basically break it off bit by bit then replace with the new half cog and fit back together. No coding need via basic settings VCDS.

0 0 0

5. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    how much is it new ?
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

6. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Its silly money something like £220 retail price. This fix should take no more than 1 hour, it took me 30 minutes.

0 0 0

7. Re: Intake Control Valve (Throttle Body) Plastic cog repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smaugc6 View Post
    Hi

I bought the new red cigs off eBay for 30£. Swapping them after removing the cover is trivial. Undo the two small screws holding the motor and female sockets I showed on the picture above . And pull off. You can then replace the large cog. But the half cog is basically moulded onto the metal assembly. I used a flat head screwdriver like a chisel and a hammer to basically break it off bit by bit then replace with the new half cog and fit back together. No coding need via basic settings VCDS.
    cool,thanks. Plenty of profit being made by the guy selling tiny plastic gear sets for £30 a shot no doubt, but I can see why it's a better option than buying a whole new TB, so more power to his elbow. My own car won't sit at constant speed at around 30-40mph, the revs fluctuate, so I'm thinking my TB plastic gears may be worn.

Is is removing the TB from the car as simple as detaching the intake hose then unscrewing the 4 torx screws which face you as you look at the butterfly valve?
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0