Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips?

1. A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I need some tips.

My A4 3.0TDI has been running fine since I bought it March 2017. It recently started to take along time too warm up, after 10 miles it runs at the first mark on the temp gauge - 70 degrees. The heater is luke warm too!

The temperature seems to rise to ok around town but drops again on the motorway. It might be coincidental but it seem to run warmer with the air conditioner on eco?

I've had the thermostat change but still have the symptoms.

I've read on this site that the A8 3.0TDI has a second thermostat which controls the gearbox or engine oil cooler, this can give trouble. I've made some investigations and it seem the A4 is not fitted with this. However the symptoms are exactly the same as described.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Paul

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulmhanna View Post
    Hi all, I need some tips.

My A4 3.0TDI has been running fine since I bought it March 2017. It recently started to take along time too warm up, after 10 miles it runs at the first mark on the temp gauge - 70 degrees. The heater is luke warm too!

The temperature seems to rise to ok around town but drops again on the motorway. It might be coincidental but it seem to run warmer with the air conditioner on eco?

I've had the thermostat change but still have the symptoms.

I've read on this site that the A8 3.0TDI has a second thermostat which controls the gearbox or engine oil cooler, this can give trouble. I've made some investigations and it seem the A4 is not fitted with this. However the symptoms are exactly the same as described.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Paul
    Update: Engine temp sender replaced (what a tricky job) and still no improvement. Been on a 100 mile journey today, temp ok at 90 degrees below 50 mph but over temp drops. Any ideal guys?

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    If it drops temp on motorway on high load driving most common fault will be main thermostat as coolant is sent to radiator when it shouldn't.
    As its automatic there is thermostat for gearbox oil cooler, as it drops temp on motorway I doubt this one.
    You can test it with VCDS looking at radiator outlet temp as it should be very low compered to engine temp while car heats up and then rise gradually when thermostat starts to open and mix cold coolant with heated.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Renars,

Thanks for the reply.

I ‘be been told by various people including parts suppliers that my car doesn’t have a second thermostat?

Where is the second thermostat located?

Regards

Paul

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    There is one called coolant regulator mounted beside gearbox and just figured out that if it will stuck open it will allow coolant to flow to radiator too.
    So it can be gearbox thermostat too.
    They probably are just looking at engine components as it maybe dont have thermostat for EGR cooler.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 B7 3.0TDI Convertible Auto S Line 2006 Running Cool - Any tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, sorted now! Doesn’t have the gearbox coolant regulator.

I’ve run it with coolant flush and back flushed the heater matrix. Lots of black gunk came out!

Topped up with antifreeze and water 50:50 mix and test drove excellent

I got 88.9 degrees c out of the heater!

Many thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0