1. It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First post here so hello to anyone interested in my project.
    Bit of background, not new to Audi's or VW's but never had a CC before, recently acquired this 2012 to use as a daily to save putting more miles on my S5 as i'd rather keep that as a high day and holiday car along with my motorbike for fun days not work.

She is a 2012, with 113k on the clock.

This was the day she came home, bruised, battered and whilst mechanically ok, cosmetically was awful... and already a plan was being hatched on what her futures entails

wheels had seen more kerb action than a King's Road prostitute, so they needed a complete refurb. I went with a subtle silver smoke

Tyres replaced and which of course then meant new centre caps and nut covers, sadly the locking nut is not a genuine VW, so a genuine set of locking nuts have been ordered so all caps can be fitted.

The car both inside and outside needed a deep clean, the interior was disgusting. Seats out and cleaned and leather fed, carpets hoovered, washed and dried.

The brushed aluminium trim has a couple of scratches, so am on the hunt for replacements.
    The panel around the light switch has peeled

annoyingly you cannot buy just that piece but you need the whole under dash trim piece. Ordered one from my local VW dealer and that arrived Friday, weather is too bad to fit but will be done as soon as possible....

But the biggest task is the paint work, the bad areas are the front bonnet

front and rear bumpers have had really bad paint work in the past

and the boot lid is heavily scratched

So, I have a great local painter, she is booked in next Friday to have bumpers removed, bonnet removed and fully stripped bad and fully repainted and blown in past the doors.
    I've also asked him to paint the roof between the rails a high gloss black as I like that look on other CC's I've seen.

Then I can put my new number plates on....

Sat with the computer plugged in a changed a few codings to more personalise. SatNav PTT, alarm beep on locking, needle sweep on start up, autolocking and convenience windows open/close on the key fob.
    Only thing I cannot find on this chassis is how to disable the having to push the brake pedal to turn the handbrake off, I know it's possible as I can change the codings on my Audi's so the handrake works without having to press the brake pedal. Any clues from those more knowledgeable?

Also treated her to a decent key ring

Not bad for the first week...

0 0 0

2. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That bonnet shows it has been replaced which was probably due to rust under the front lip, something that would not have happened if VW had painted the car properly in the first place rather than trying to rely on thin cheap zinc plating.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No it's the genuine, original bonnet. Just been really badly painted previously, really badly.....

Same with the bumpers.

All are being totally stripped back, bonnet back to the metal, bumpers back to the plastic.

0 0 0

4. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The primer over the zinc coating should be a sort of chromate green, it’s a bit difficult to describe unless you have seen it.

See the under bonnet patch at 40 seconds in

VW Passat Factory of Emden Germany Press shop paint shop pre assembly, final check up - YouTube
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know the coating, and i know the full history of the car it being in the same ownership since it was new. It has just had a really, really bad paint shop by an as then trusted painter....
    he cut corners on prep.... (hence him no longer getting the company's business anymore)

I'm ensuring that no corners are cut this time, the paint work is costing me over half of the cars value and it will be being done right this time. Can't wait, she is going to look great again...!!!

0 0 0

6. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well as of last Friday the CC went into the bodyshop….. brief is to restore her to her former glory.
    Bonnet is being stripped to bare metal and getting rid of the previous bad paint, same goes for the front and rear bumper.... there is a small dent on the passenger front wing which will be addressed.
    The boot lid has a number of small dings and deep scratches so that is being repainted fully. The "Passat CC" and "Bluemotion" badges are being removed.
    the roof between the swage lines is being painted a gloss black.
    Parts are slowly arriving, I purchased a set of 30/35mm lowering springs as she sits too high

and as the Magnetic Dampers work perfectly I didn't see the point of going to coilovers.
    I may yet fit spacers to move the wheels out slightly but will see what it looks like on just the springs.
    As on my S5 I've purchased an interior set of LED's from Trups, included are a set of reverse LED's and number plate LED's
    On the drive to the bodyshop on Friday a number of headlights bulbs died their final death, so for peace of mind they'll all be being changed.
    I'll be popping in to the bodyshop on Wednesday to get an update and hopefully some stripped down images....

0 0 0

7. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Visited the paintshop today and things are progressing well.

she's most definitely stripped down

roofs in prep for going black, as is the grill

bonnet is back to bare metal

front and rear bumpers stripped

and the dents repaired on the boot lid

0 0 0

8. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Great work, it looks good, hopefully it's high quality and lasts. With this sort of work, you usually get what you pay for.

0 0 0

9. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well it is a high end paint job and the guy is a perfectionist and knows I won't accept a 2nd rate job...

it's definitely not a one coat Fred lol

0 0 0

10. Re: It starts here i suppose 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm heading for that sort of look but the chrome bit in the grill staying chrome but with the black surround and the roof black.

I'm undecided on the mirror housings currently and will decide once complete

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast