Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!!

1. Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Today whilst driving no more than 30mph (thankfully) the passenger windscreen wiper completely snapped off whilst on medium setting, spun around and got caught in with the drivers side wiper. I immediately pulled over and retrieved the wiper thinking the blade had came off, however close to where the two securing bolts are it had sheared off. I didn’t take any pictures as it was pouring down but I have a link to another forum which shows many Q7 owners have had the problem, with pictures to show.
    The replacement arm is £69 from Audi, however they couldn’t order one in until Tuesday. Luckily a good friend of mine is a welder and managed to weld the two cast aluminium pieces back together for some beer money.
    I have never experienced this happening on any other car I’ve owned or known off. Very bizarre and dangerous and would be worth taking off the plastic cover and inspecting the wiper arm to be safe. You don’t want that happening at motorway speeds! Also I was extremely fortunate not to have damaged the windscreen.
    Passenger side wiper arm broke completely off - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

0 0 0

2. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Pivot corrosion, it is an unusual arm design.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is an unusual design. The drivers side is more common to what I’ve seen before. Like the examples in the the link my wiper arm sheared after the pivot, and weirdly the pivot wasn’t seized or corroded whatsoever. The cast aluminium just seemed to have given up and snapped! If this happens to anyone else, just ensure that you clean the splines out on the mechanism before installing new arm. I’ve seen before where it doesn’t grip and the wiper will only have limited movement or none at all.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    They have been made of what we call “monkey metal” for decades, since the late sixties; and they have always been fragile. We often have to remove the arms from modern VAG cars to access the wiper motor, ECU or even just the pollen, sorry, cabin, filter and the arms have to be treated with caution as they can easily snap as they corrode on their chromed, latterly stainless steel, angle faced drive splines, these drive splines become full of corrosion which locks the arms on and as they are designed to break off. If they break off when trying to access a component, the cars owner tends to treat any excuses with derision. They break because they are meant to fail easily if a persons body happens to pass over the wipers when they are in the running position, closed cowl wipers (first seen in the early 70’s on US cars such as the Gen 2 Camaro), only protect people that roll across the bonnet when they are down, parked as such in their plan. People tend to roll across ones bonnet when vision is poor, such as when it is raining when the screen is covered half the time by nasty big chunks of sweeping metal. Ohh and the design is much like the one used on the 60’s Miura and some tractor unit trucks.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly the same thing has just happened to mine!!
    I’ve just purchased a
    genuine” arm off eBay 4L2955407B1P9, but the hole where the motor goes is smooth and the sheared arm I removed, the original, has grooves!
    Anyone know if this will work? Seems to me the new arm won’t grip on the motor? I’ve not tried it yet, as don’t want to damage the new arm if it won’t work.
    Anyone else replaced a passenger arm on a Q7 before?
    B8FEA9D2-11F2-44EC-B0AA-D7A9C777D83A.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Common enough it seems, it happened to my 2006 about a year ago. Rang my local dealer, they were able to check other dealer stock and lo and behold, 3 other dealers had them in stock.
    I needed one in a hurry as rain is never far away in Ireland.
    Easy enough to fit though, I marked the wiper/arm stub position on windscreen with masking tape before removal.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you remember if the hole on the arm that fits over the motor part had grooves in, like my pic above? My “new” arm does not have any grooves and I worry it won’t bite into the peg that makes it move.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passenger windscreen wiper snapped off!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I’m pretty certain the replacement I got was grooved to match the splines on the spindles. Could you ask a dealer to confirm if your part no. is correct ?
    It can be difficult to remove the old arm stub without a wiper puller tool.
    I just about managed with vice grips by putting the nut back on by a couple of threads.

0 0 0