Notices

User Tag List

Thread: mk4 Golf Rear wiper motor can I replace Valeo with Bosch?

1. mk4 Golf Rear wiper motor can I replace Valeo with Bosch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

As per the title, does anyone know if I can replace a valeo rear wiper motor with a bosch one, is there any difference?

My original has snapped the tube through the wiper arm. Alternatively, can I use the tube from the bosch unit or are they different length or diameter?

TIA

Spadders

0 0 0

2. Re: mk4 Golf Rear wiper motor can I replace Valeo with Bosch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, don't know the answer to the question - but when this happened on my Mk4 around 6 years back, I got a repair kit from VW (basically new spindle, new tube, and some grease). It was silly money for what it was (about £40 I think) but not as silly as a whole wiper motor, or paying for VW to fit either!

You will probably find the tube is seized into the spindle (which is why it then snaps), so not sure your second idea would be a good one even if its fits.

Worth checking your boot catch whilst you're in there. Because of where the tube snaps, washer fluid can run out the motor and down onto the catch where there is an integral microswitch, which controls boot light and is also hooked into the alarm. As water was still working its way through the snapped tube onto the rear screen in my case (I hadn't twigged that the jet wasn't as powerful and was now moving back and forth with the blade!) it was actually the alarm going off occasionally which alerted me to a problem. The boot light stopped working altogether some time after the motor was done, and the whole catch (below) needed replacing as the microswitch is riveted on. You need an 8mm spline bit for the catch bolts.

Boot latch.jpg
    Last edited by Midge; 20-10-2018 at 11:07 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: mk4 Golf Rear wiper motor can I replace Valeo with Bosch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi, yes it had seized inside the wiper spindle, and water leaked onto the micro switch in the lock mechanism, but fortunately it must have only just happened, so I was able to dry it all out and it caused no lasting damage, and I managed to get the shaft out of the spindle, and clean the spindle up, so it just needs the tube that runs through. I'm selling the car, and I just can't (and won't ) justify spending £40+ for a bit of tubing. I'd rather fit a second hand motor to sell the car. I did wonder if all of the motors on different models use the same size tube, so theoretically if I could get a motor off a passat/golf/a3/a4/fabia etc it would fit?
    Thanks for the reply
    All the best

0 0 0

4. Re: mk4 Golf Rear wiper motor can I replace Valeo with Bosch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Get the Bosch as it's oem Valeo that broke in the first place , common fault across VAG .

0 0 0